We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dorothy... Toto...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Dorothy... Toto...

Thought we might be in Kansas or maybe back in Florida for the night (& morning). Temperatures in various parts of ANC were approaching 50F and the rain washed away quite a bit of the snow.

WInds were really high and I'm finally thankful for the high building standards that were required in our home's construction. We've some friends that suffered significant window, fence and yard damage.

Seems to have quieted down and we can see the mountains again.

Here's some local news on it:

adn.com/2011/12/03/2201284/wind-rain-forecas…

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

The weather must be turning inside out this week. We're supposed to be in early summer and it's almost snowing here the last 2 days.........

Stay safe sdpryde & everyone else affected.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

Amazing - Fairbanks hit the low 40s today. That's not much cooler than Atlanta right now.

-JimG

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

Last big Chinook we had in AK we lost 75 ft of fence and a hot tub roof. I don't miss those sleepless nights, though the weather on the east coast has not been much better. Stay safe up there and don't get blown away.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

Been windy here, but that is common for Healy, as we are one of the "normal" high wind areas in the state. Woke up to almost 40 and rain this morning - very bleak looking! But by noon, it had turned to snow, and it is turning back into a winter wonderland here. :)

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

Drove into Homer yesterday for church and the snow was gone. The temperature is on its way back down and hopefully it will snow

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

You all can blame this on me. Every time I plan a trip somewhere, there is some kind of freak weather occurrence.

I went to Death Valley last year and they had 2 inches of rain which flooded the whole valley. I went to San Antonio this past February and they had a snow and ice storm (first one in over 20 years) that shut the whole city down. I told my wife when we started talking about Alaska that they would probably have a heat wave. Well, guess what.

My profound apologies.

-JimG

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

Hmm... and I thought I might buy you a beer when you're here!

8. Re: Dorothy... Toto...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:19