We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

I really wish all OPs would be so kind as to tell us that they got all the information they needed. So many times we continue recommending and tweaking their questions and we never hear from them again.

Also would love to see more trip reports even abbreviated trip reports. Tell us what worked and what didn’t. Just the Rat speaking out please forgive me.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

They are valid comments, rat, and I am sometimes disappointed, particularly with people from my own country, when we go all out to provide detailed advice and never hear anything again. That is mostly on the Canadian Rockies forum and sometimes BC and this forum.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

This "issue" extends to all forums, we help as best we can, taking our time to look up info that the OP could easily do for themselves and never hear a 'thank you" or anything.

I tend to not even respond any more when they do a "thanks in advance". I've noticed that lots of one-time/very few time posters do not come back to say thanks or tell how the trip went.

We just continue to try to help anyway, we do want to see folks have a great time and to use their time and money wisely.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

Yes, you're right Rat......a little thank you goes a long ways.....makes it feel like your advice has not fallen on deaf ears....

Have you ever noticed that the one post wonders who either rant or trash certain places or activities are almost always never heard from either ?......that just reeks of dishonesty to me......maybe after a certain amount of time with no other posts they could magically just disappear......

My thanks to all who respond, as well as all who are seeking information......we wouldn't be doing this unless we enjoyed it !

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

>>>This "issue" extends to all forums, we help as best we can, taking our time to look up info that the OP could easily do for themselves and never hear a 'thank you" or anything.<<<

Sad but true, I've seen this elsewhere on other forums here on TA too.

Generally speaking, I have stopped taking my time to look up info that the OP can do for themselves. If I provide the name of a company or location for something, they can certainly take the time to Google it.

I suspect we could hear the other side of the issue, which would be OPs saying they are tired of coming to a TA forum asking one question or seeking information about one thing, only to have the forum responders ask a bunch more questions or spending their time trying to change their minds about something they want to do. (I just posted on such response on kids and wildlife tours in AK. I suspect the OP there might not appreciate my point of view.)

Anyway, all we can do is the best we can in an effort to try and help others.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

"I really wish all OPs would be so kind as to tell us that they got all the information they needed. "

Just wondering how they know when they have that? Because often subsequent posters will come along and either add more information or different info that the OP didn't know about and is happy to learn about. If he/she had said they got all their info, the later posters wouldn't add to the thread... So at least sometimes, the OP has no idea when "enough" is reached.

It is nice, though, if they come back to thank us.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

Good points and perhaps maybe is unintentional. I think I'm at fault on some of that on forums other than Alaska where I was a seeker. Will have to remember to follow up the next time. Thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

Thanks to all for "playing" on TA with me; heck and most of the time playing nice!

I actually (for the most part) find the posting here a lot of fun. It's really interesting to see what people love and many of you (us) really show your passions when giving others your opinons.

Scott

Texas
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

I have used TA for years and always gain so much insight. I THINK I always respond and say, 'Thanks' but if I haven't please forgive me! I am in the process of planning a summer trip to Seattle (2 nights) followed by an Alaskan Cruise. I couldn't plan either without the DE's, locals, & regulars on both boards. Y'all all ROCK!!!!

Edited: 10 December 2011, 23:34
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

Yes, the thanks are well appreciated and pretty rare, but that comes with the turf. I am in turn selective what I read and choose to respond to, happily because there are so many others here who are quick and knowledgeable and cover many topics so well. I also will abandon most threads after they hit the 12 or 15 reply mark, figuring that things are well in hand. I figure I fill a niche of knowledge that otherwise can be overlooked and in other cases it is fun to fill in neglected areas, as when everyone concentrates on Anchorage and Kenai, as if that is all of Alaska...

It takes a bit of thought to answer what I think the person wants to know and then add in a measured dose of information of what I suspect they don't know enough to ask about, so they can make well informed decisions. But then if everyone had my perspective they would be all be living up here.

I find it helpful to remember when I ask for advice. Some people assumed I was asking how to do something, not asking for their perspective so I can add it to my decision.

Sometimes it is work to assemble information, but often it is selfishly fun to talk about this great state. That has to suffice as thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did the OP get everything they needed from us?

"Sometimes it is work to assemble information, but often it is selfishly fun to talk about this great state. That has to suffice as thanks..."

So very well said. I couldn't have said it better! It is indeed in giving that we receive.

I feel so lucky to have such supportive, kind folks like you all on here. It is our diversity of opinions that makes this such a great place. All together we give a fairly complete picture otherwise it would be like the proverbial blind men & the elephant.

Happy almost-solstice! The light is about to come back!