We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

We're planning to drive from Haines to Fairbanks next summer, in a rental car, via Haines Hwy and Alaska Hwy--part of which is in Canada (BC and Yukon),

I know we need to have passports (we're American citizens).

But do we need international drivers license as well?

Thanks.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

<do we need international drivers license>

No

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

I'm just curious (& it might help other readers):

Are you doing a one-way rental (from Haines to Fairbanks)? If so, what rental company is doing this & approx. how much is this costing?

tks,

Scott

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Rental is reserved for next August, from Haines to Anchorage, nine days, $1400 (!!), with Avis. I'll keep checking to see if I can get a bettter rate, but so far as I know Avis is the only car rental option in Haines for a one-way rental to other parts of the state.

If you know of any other agencies in Haines that might do such a rental, please let me know. Thanks!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Hmmm, too bad someone couldn't book a reverse one way trip, maybe lower the rate a bit......Yes, as far as I know Avis is the only one that rents one-way.....all the other rentals here in town are owned by local motel or B&B owners........

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

May I recommend that you order a copy of www.TheMilepost.com for the trip. It's the essential guide to the drive.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,532 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Tricia,

Just to expand on the advice from Places @ #1, an International Driving Permit is only required where the drivers license of the person is not written in a language common to the country being visited. It is basically just a translation of the language the license is written in to a language of the destination country, nothing more.

Edited: 12 December 2011, 08:54
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Thanks for the info/pricing Tricia.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

I have never had issues driving in Canada with my US issued driver's license (of course I never got pulled over, either!).

One thing you might consider is having your auto insurance company issue a "certificate of coverage" for Canada. This basically states (explicitly) that your insurance policy is in force while you are driving in Canada. Our insurance company does these for free, and it only takes a phone call to our agent and week or so to get the certifcate in the mail.

Outside of that you should not have any issues. Be aware that Canada treats speeding and DUI as much more serious offenses than we typically do here in the US, so be careful about both of those (not implying that you would do either, merely an FYI).

Enjoy your trip!

-JimG

Edited: 12 December 2011, 12:02
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

Good idea on the Proof of Insurance, Jim G........I always take one whenever I rent a car to show to the rental agency.....seems to back them off their push to buy extra insurance........Also if you have road service such as AAA, you might want to check to see if that works in Canada......I have AAA and have used it in Canada so I know that one works......

One other thing you might inform your credit card company that you will be in Canada and may use your card when there.......after a major shopping trip in Whitehorse we found out the next day at a gas station that a hold had been put on our card, fortunately had cash for the gas, and called the card company when we got home......they now have it noted that we go there once a year or so and it is not a stolen card being used in a foreign country.........

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do we need international drivers license for AK Hwy?

mombear that reminds me - I would make sure the car rental contract states that the renter has permission to take the car out of the US, especially since it as a one-way rental. I have always requested this when renting a car to drive into Canada, and the agencies have never had a problem with providing the documentation.

In my experience, most US car rental offices that are near the Canadian border will allow their cars to be driven a short distance into Canada (a couple hundred miles or so). However, Tricia S is actually (technically) driving *through* Canada, which is a bit different. I can see the potential for problems at the border crossings, so best to "get it in writing".

-JimG