We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spotting scope in Denali

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
spotting scope in Denali

I am wondering if a spotting scope would be helpful in Denali. I know that it is very helpful in Yellowstone . Do many people bring spotting scopes to Denali?

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,185 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spotting scope in Denali

Yes you'll see spotting scopes (and binoculars) in Denali NP. How many? I would guess less than half of the visitors on say the shuttle buses have any sort of viewing aid. Those that do, however, are treated so some pretty nice visuals on things others on the bus can only see as "dots". Sheep on the mountainside are probably the best known animals seen as "dots up there."

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,185 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spotting scope in Denali

Years ago I was on the camper bus when someone set up a spotting scope on tripod in the back of the bus so we could all go take a look at the wolf cubs playing at the mouth of the den. It was a very high-powered scope & we couldn't see well with our binoculars.

I have also seen the professional photographers with spotting scopes set up along with their camera tripods & have gotten to look through their scopes. But then they have permits to drive a private vehicle & can haul all that equipment.

Also the past few years with the one wolf pack staying at the same den & rendezvous I have seen folks hanging out on the road with spotting scopes set up.

On the shuttles binoculars are of course more practical ; most spotting scopes I have seen are on a tripod which would be too awkward on the bus.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 22:21
3. Re: spotting scope in Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:20