We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing Itinerary...please review

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing Itinerary...please review

Hello,

We have read widely and still have questions/concerns...Please offer your input, please. Esp.for the last few days...

June 11/12 arrive Anchorage at 1 in the morning!

June 12 sleep in a bit and tour Anchorage highlights. We are

less interested in seeing the city and more in seeing the

wilderness of Alaska.

June 13 rent a car and head for Denali making wonderful stops

along the way, i.e. Wasilla for the dogs, Is a AAA Trip

Tix good enough or should we buy the Milepost book also?

June 13 sleep Denali

June 14 take the park shuttle to Wonder Lake. Sleep Denali.

June 15 same as yesterday including Park Ranger talks, hikes,

Sleep Denali

..and here we are at the point where we need advice!

Our cruise leaves from Whittier on June 18.

Do we stay longer in Denali? Do we head back to Anchorage/drop off the car and head for Whittier to do the cruise from there? If so, I guess we will not be in Whittier until June 17 because we'll need time to get from Denali to Anchorage. So, do we sleep another night in Anchorage? Are we cutting out too much and not giving Anchorage a fair enough chance? Should we stay another night in Denali? Any chance of fitting in Seward?

Please help...Your input is very appreciated!

We really are stuck on the last few days...

Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

Some details missing here .....

Do you have a one-way car rental to return in Whittier ? If so, after Denali, head to Girdwood and spend your extra time there. Lots to see and do in that area.

Or are you returning the car to Anchorage then taking the train to Whiiter on the morning of June 18th? I think the train leaves Anc around 10am and arrives to Whittier around noon. If that's the case, you have 2 days before you need to be back in Anchorage for the night of 6/17.

What are your interests? How much driving do you want to do?

You could take a detour onto the Glenn Hwy and visit Matanuska Glacier and go ice trekking, visit Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass.

Heck, I could squeeze in a visit to Fairbanks with that amount of time. Depends on your interests.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

You might check the OP's other posts. They might answer some of your questions.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

Sorry, but I'm not going to dig around looking for past threads to sort out the details. That's why people are asked to stick with one thread. Gets too confusing when their itinerary info is scattered all over the place.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

+1 to FTI and YesCanada.

That is why I didn't respond, knowing there were other threads with fragments of the necessary info to help nodan7.

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

please reply. I do not think it is fair that I am being caught up in your disagreements...Please give me your 'experienced' input. We truly are at a loss for those last couple of days and need to know what you think of the first few days. Why ignore my request...?

Thank you.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

nodan, it is not a disagreement. Posters have answered many questions on your other posts and now have to go back and search those posts to find details that you have already explained, rejected or accepted. I am going to give a stab at rearranging your itinerary but do not know what is set in stone and what is changeable.

day 1 (6/11)pick up rental car when you arrive head to hotel, sleep in and drive to Seward at your leisure

day 2 Seward activities

day 3 Drive to Anchorage/Girdwood/Talkeetna to break up drive to Denali (don't drive Seward---->Denali in one day)

day 4 Drive to Denali do entrance area activities

day 5 Shuttle bus

day 6 shuttle bus

day 7 Early drive to Anchorage/explore Anchorage

day 8 Cruise ship transfer to Whittier maybe do glacier cruise in Whittier

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

Spacefry's right, there is no disagreement, that I see, between what the first 3 responders have had to say. You have posted a lot of questions and already received a ton of input. There is no way for us to adequately respond to this question/request without going back and rereading just about everything that has led up to the evolution of this proposed itinerary.

As was stated already, this is an example of why we suggest posters to keep their questions in the same thread in order to help those trying to help you.

Spacefry's suggestion is a good one, as good as any I could come up with in a vacuum in this isolated thread.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

>>>Is a AAA TripTix good enough or should we buy the Milepost book also?<<<

For no more than you're planning to see/do, the TripTik will be more than adequate. In all reality, the rental car map should be enough, so if you have to pay for the TripTik save your money.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 13:34
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

I also say there is no "disagreement." I just don't have the time to give my best advice when I have to read through multiple threads to see details of a trip, what has already been suggested, answered, etc. So in those cases, I just don't respond anymore rather than either duplicate previous advice, having to review past threads or giving advice that won't help based on what a poster might have said on other threads. Don't take it personally.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finalizing Itinerary...please review

When I go back and look I wonder do you arrive Anchorage on the 11th or 12th? I am now thinking it is the 12th, which shortens everything by a day. I think you may have to prioritize and decide if 2 days in Denali is more important than the Seward portion.

If you stick to the itinerary in your OP you may want to explore Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Matanuska Glacier and the Palmer/Wasilla area or stop in Talkeetna and do a flightseeing tour after your days in Denali.

I would also say yes do a glacier tour from Whittier if it fits into your schedule.