We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising to Alaska

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising to Alaska

Is it nicer to cruise to Alaska ex Vancouver or Seattle?? Or are they both the same??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising to Alaska

you would need to review the itineraries to decide which is "nicer".

Many people prefer an itinerary that sails on the east of Vancouver Island as it is a more scenic route, as opposed to the west side which isn't as scenic and be rougher. Vancouver departures typically do the east side of the island.

If you look under the Top Questions, you'll find an informative article about Alaska cruises.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising to Alaska

Also if you depart from Seattle, one of your ports is Victoria. As I'm sure you're aware, that's not in Alaska....(the ship has to include a foreign port).

Unless you want to visit Sitka, which I believe is visited only by some of the Holland America departures from Seattle, then choose a Vancouver departure.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising to Alaska

I vote for Vancouver. You have the first full day sailing in very scenic territory. From Seattle you will be out in the open ocean with a greater chance of rougher seas on both your first and last days. If you are looking at round trip cruises, the HAL cruise that goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm is my favorite itinerary. If you are looking at a one-way cruise my favorite is the Princess southbound that includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. These are both scenic jackpot cruises in my mind. If you are more interested in ports, then you need to look at other itineraries.

4. Re: Cruising to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:26