We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

There are two coupon books used for travel in Alaska, The Northern Lights Coupon Book and The Toursaver Coupon Book. The Northern Lights book costs $55 and the Toursaver costs $99.95. Each book offers coupons for tours and attractions in Alaska, only the Northern Lights book has coupons for food/restaurants.

Many of the coupons have a limited amount of space with the provider and some deals such as flight seeing are only available at certain times. Reserve space early if you plan to use a coupon. The Northern Lights book does not have a book number and coupons can be removed from the book before using. The Toursaver book has a unique number which some businesses may require when making reservations, the coupons also must remain attached to the book until use.

Alaska Toursaver Coupon Book:

http://www.toursaver.com/home/

Northern Lights Coupon Book:

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/Order.htm

Review the offers available in each book and then decide which one to buy.

Some people have used the acronyms AST and ADT when referring to the books, AST is Toursaver and ADT is Northern Lights.

Since the Northern Lights Coupon Book is a fundraiser I have heard of them selling out or being hard to get by midsummer.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

Note that there is no "best" coupon book. Depending on your activities and the available coupons and discounts, perhaps Toursaver will be a better deal for you (even though it costs more), or perhpaps the Northern Lights book will be a better deal for you. The only way to truly know is to go to the websites listed above, check out all the offers, and calculate how much you will save with each book.

You can look for used books, especially Toursaver, on EBay, and especially after about early to mid June (though I have seen brand new ones on EBay in the spring - someone bought it early then had to cancel their trip).

Edited: 13 February 2012, 21:01
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

The Toursaver book mostly has tours (that's why it is called TOURsaver).

The Northern Lights book is more like an "Entertainment" book with coupons for lots of other activities, restaurants, fitness clubs, car discounts, etc. The one nice thing about the Northern Lights book is that you can share COUPONS without having to share the entire book (Toursaver coupons can only be removed at the vendor when you check in as was mentioned in the first post).

I have used Toursaver sometimes and Northern Lights sometimes (one year I bought both and still saved enough money with each book to make it worth it). This year I am planning on the Northern Lights book because it saves me more money.

3. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 21:23
Edited: 13 February 2012, 21:23
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

Thanks goes out to SpaceFry thanks for getting this effort started and FTI for his valuable content.

Some added info . . .

I believe that typically books can be ordered in October for the following calendar year. If you are undecided which to purchase, a simple spreadsheet of the activities you're planning to do and "check" if it is featured in either or both of the books along with the discount offered.

With this information summarized by book, you will know if buying one or both books will help you save For some doing a lot of activities or expensive tours, it could be that purchasing both will benefit you.

If you are traveling late in the season (July or later) or if they run out of them, you might check out eBay to see if you can pick one up from someone who's already been and returned with unused coupons. BE CAREFUL, however, to be sure that the discounts you are looking for are still in the book.

Regarding reselling of books, please note that Trip Advisor terms & conditions prohibit you from advertising your used book for sale or soliciting to make a purchase.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

I hope this is put into the top questions because so many questions come up about it every year.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

Yes we learned today that the link to our former thread in Top Questions on the discount books was gone. This thread was created specifically to address the need to have ready access to the information so many folks come here to obtain.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

I sometimes hear the mention of a spreadsheet to figure out which of the Alaska coupon books will work best for a particular individual. There is a new feature on the TourSaver site that allows you to figure out what trips you might use by region, city and type of activity. They call it the Alaska Travel Savings Calculator. It's linked from the home page and after you get your results, you can copy and paste them into a spreadsheet as well...Hope this helps.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

Got an e-mail from GAH promoting the Northern Lights Coupon Book. I ordered it through them and have used 3 of the coupons for tours, it has paid for itself many times over already.

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

There were a few tours that were listed as one price without the Toursaver book, but a different (more expensive price) if you are using the Toursaver book for Buy 1 Get 1 Free.

I contacted the Toursaver people about this - the companies who change the price are in violation of an agreement they have with Toursaver. If you see a company doing this, please contact Toursaver with the information and they will follow-up.

Also - you don't need to have the Toursaver or Alaska-discounts book in your hand when you make a reservation. (So you don't have to wait for the book to arrive to reserve a trip.) But you do need to have the coupon book with you when you go on the excursion.

Also - you can preview all of the coupons available on the websites before you buy the book.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coupon Books for Alaska Travel

In regards to having the coupon book with you when you make a reservation. I have only bought the Toursaver once in 2008 and at that time I was asked for the coupon number when booking ( I believe the numbers are unique to each book). I have bought the NL book for the past 8 or so years and was never asked for a number from that book.