We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

We're a couple of Aussies travelling in a hire car, on the ferry from Prince Rupert early September, and want to travel north toward Whitehorse. Just wanting some info on both highways...Skagway or Haines...? and scenic value?? I realise everything is beautiful in those areas...hence our dilema.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,432 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

Uuummm. There are some others from Ballina looking to get from Anchorage to Vancouver, perhaps ............ :)

tripadvisor.com.au/…38868742

I have travelled the road from Skagway over the White Pass to as far as Emerald Lake just east of Carcross, YT, but not as far as Whitehorse. Yep. Very scenic. I have seen mentioned that Haines to Haines Junction is very scenic as well. Haines is a longer route than Skagway. That is the extent that I can comment.

Perhaps mombear will pop in later to advise.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

I have done both Philrae, many times.......to me the scenery between Haines and Whitehorse is much better than Skagway to Whitehorse........less traffic and more opportunity to see wildlife, too.......the highway from Haines follows the Chilkat River with glacier capped mountains beyond the river........after you cross the Canadian border you climb a mountain pass with wide open scenery and lakes......stop often along the way to use you binoculars or just to "listen" to the quietude.........there are usually wild flowers along the edges of the road during the summer.......other mandatory stops are Kathleen Lake and Million Dollar Falls, many photo ops along the route.....

On the other hand the scenery between Skagway and Whitehorse has its own kind of beauty......first the highway climbs the steep mountain pass with waterfalls and deep canyons then the road crosses wide open scenery with lakes, very few trees and lots of manmade structures left over from the mining era......this route is more heavily traveled with tour buses and motor homes..........

As Frommy says it is a longer drive from Haines to Whitehorse, but after factoring in the further ferry ride to Skagway it will probably take about the same amount of time (and save you the cost of ferrying your vehicle further)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

For me, Haines to Haines Junction is the most scenic section and there is a lot to see and admire including Haines Pass, Million Dollar Falls, Rock Glacier, Kathleen Lake and more.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

Both roads are great. Go by one and come back by the other ;) In Whitehorse, there's lots of hotels and restaurants. I like Takhini Hot Springs, 20km from downtown.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

Just noticed the "early September" part of your original post........what a gorgeous time of year, the leaves will be showing off their fall colors by then between Haines and Haines Junction !

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

Thanks so much guys, great advice. We've just booked the ferry to Haines...may even take a day trip from Whitehorse back toward Skagway if time permits...guess there's only so much you can see in 1 trip...might have to come back!!

7. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:26