We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

Two adults> We are having a difficult time choosing between these two, Knik or Matanuska, perhaps neither. They both sound awesome but we'd like some input.. We will have already been on the Major Marine Kenai Glacier cruise, visited Exit Glacier and Portage Glacier, and we have already booked the shorter Glacier Quest tour out of Whittier. We will then be taking a Princess cruise including Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park. We plan to see Mendenhall Glacier out of Juneau.

Are we planning too many glaciers? Yes, we love beautiful scenery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

nodan

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

Nodan you really need to keep all of your questions together on a single thread.

You can do a "search" of the Alaska Forums here to find out what people suggest relative to both of these glaciers in question.

Nobody can answer for you, about your vacation "Are we planning too many glaciers?" If you are that interested and want to see that many, then go for it. I believe that each of the locations you have indicated you'll be visiting or are considering, are very different in the experience. How so? Please research and read about each.

Also, you may need to start reconsidering based on your budget . . . something that really only you know about and can decide on.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 17:39
Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
825 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

We like the Mat-Sue Glacier.

tripadvisor.com/…34638546

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k48841…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

>>Nodan you really need to keep all of your questions together on a single thread.

Well, if they want people to stop responding, they can start as many threads as they want. But many of the regulars just "give up" when there are so many threads from the same poster. Just too hard for many regulars to keep up.

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

I am having trouble understanding why all must be kept on a single thread. The question I asked has little to do with my previous threads. Why does it matter...just wondering.

Thank you.

nodan7

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

>>>Just too hard for many regulars to keep up.<<<

I'd also (again) encourage you to read the "Top Questions" area of the Alaska Forum where this is covered extensively . . . "When is it helpful to keep related questions in our one original thread?"

Edited: 26 February 2012, 18:10
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,636 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

Do not feed the bear!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

I think what most posters don't understand is that the same 10-15 people read almost every question and respond when they have information. If you keep your posts in one thread then we don't need to give information that was already given and accepted or rejected and we also have all the information about your trip to give a qualified and complete answer.

I think this can be a bit confusing because most posters think they need to open a new thread with every question they have since that is the way TA kind of pushes people with their whole "ask a question" thing. I really don't know how to make it clearer to posters on this forum except to keep pointing them toward the Top Questions and maybe when there is a new poster we should right off the bat tell them to keep asking their questions in their original thread.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

<<I really don't know how to make it clearer to posters on this forum except to keep pointing them toward the Top Questions and maybe when there is a new poster we should right off the bat tell them to keep asking their questions in their original thread.>>

The problem is spacefry - that there are thousands of other forums in TA that operate by posters asking specific questions and getting answers to them. This is the ONLY TA forum I have been in where the "regulars" dictate how the forums should run and get so upset and agressive with questioners when they don't follow the "rules". It really does get quite OTT sometimes and I am surprised that anyone even comes in here to even ASK questions sometimes. It is certainly one of the more hostile forums I've come across.

Really - if it's too much effort just to answer a question that a person puts up - then just don't do it. There is no need to jump down people's throats for asking questions and there is NO requirement on the rest of TA for a poster to keep their questions in the one thread.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

Wow and I thought I was being nice trying to explain how you can get your questions answered with prompt informed answers. I am not saying you have to ask questions this way but how to get them answered. There is no rule that says you have to do anything.

This forum has a very dedicated group of core responders and over time it just has seemed easier and more efficient to keep your plans in one thread.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knik Glacier Tour or Matanuska Glacier or...neither????

Tez I hear what you're saying, and understand your point of view. It's unfortunate that you feel we are "one of the more hostile forums".

What I do see a lot more often on other forums where I'm active are a lot of people (DE's mostly) responding with a standard "first response" of:

* "Do a search of the forum"

* "Read a guide book"

* "See the 'Top Questions' section"

I think most here who try to assist others actually try to provide responsive answers to the questions. With that said, even here on the Alaska Forum you're seeing more and more of that type of first response to questions, perhaps because of what seems to be burn-out by some of our most active responders.

Perhaps we could design a more robust "Top Questions" area and try to push all posters there first rather than trying to provide personalized responses.

More often than not, people who are posting here on the Alaska Forums are seeking rather personalized and specific information. Then again, we have had a lot of people show up here saying stuff like "I have 10 days to see everything in Alaska. What itinerary do you recommend?"

I also believe that due to the distance and variables involved, the nature of travel to Alaska is a bit more complex than many other places in the world. That adds to the challenge to provide assistance in the absence of a bit more detailed information. I cannot count the number of times someone has invested time to provide help, only to have the OP indicate that something suggested won't work because of some critical detail initially left out. Those who have been around the Alaska Forum for a few years have learned through that process and realize that in order to help in an efficient manner, we need some help from the OP, especially given the amount of activity we have in terms of questions and people coming for assistance.

I could see us posting 5 or 6 boiler plate itineraries and leave it that for people to fill in or stretch out based on their specific interests, time restrictions and preferred mode of transportation.

I don't know what the answer is, but will say that I know many here who are regular contributors (DE's, local residents and those who have years of travel experience to Alaska) doing the best they can . . . again as volunteers. Perhaps the time is coming when questions will fall on deaf ears and go unanswered.

Anyway, I am not responding on behalf of anyone other than myself.