We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to Alaska

Pickering
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise to Alaska

Trying to book a cruise to Alaska. Which port is the best to depart from Seattle or Vancouver. Which liner is best to book with Holland A, Celebrity or Princess. Any reccos re travel company to book through. I understand the Inner Passage is best. Have travelled world-wide but Alaska booking is sort of overwhelming. What length of stay is best?

Will be flying out of Toronto. Is it better to book all in or cruise and airfare separate. Thanking you in advance for any advice. Janet

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise to Alaska

In the top questions is "All About Alaska Cruising".

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k38186…

That should be a big help to you in your decision making.

Alaska should not be at ALL overwhelming with all the help in this forum (and cruisecritic.com) Most here will tell you that "length of stay" is as long as you can possibly make it. There is SOOO much to see. (We loved the Coral Princess, but it may not be for you.)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Please read the excellent article on Alaska cruises under the TOP QUESTIONS. It may answer a lot of your questions and will provide additional resources.

You might also want to buy a book on Alaska cruises, such as "Alaska by Cruiseship" by Ann Vipond to learn about each port and the sights and activities available.

Yes, a cruise along the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland is preferable. Not just for scenery but calmer seas. Have fun planning!

Pickering
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Hi,

Thank you so very much for your input.

Best Regards,

Janet

Pickering
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my request; very much appreciated.

Best, Janet

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,087 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise to Alaska

G'day Janet,

If you have read the suggested Top Question you will see that Vancouver provides a superior cruise than from Seattle. The downside is that there are less cruises from Vancouver than from Seattle to choose from. You only have Celebrity Century (sailing Sundays), HAL Volendam (Wednesdays) and HAL Zuiderdam (Saturdays), assuming that you are considering a round trip cruise.

Of those, both the HAL ships have the superior itinerary by far over the Century IMO. I would also go so far as to say that Volendam would be the one that I would choose. That is because, from my experience, sailing HAL on a Wednesday, we found that there were few other ships in the regular ports of call, whereas Saturday and Sunday departures, from either ports, can see three or four ships in the same Alaska ports at the same time. To check out all the options go to the CruiseAlaska website linked below, and click on the 'Cruises' tab for the month you are considering. That will show all options, and if you click on a ship, then date, you can bring up the itinerary for that cruise.

www.cruisealaska.com/…

I gave up on Travel Agents a fair while ago and mainly do all my own bookings direct these days. You do not need an agent to get advice from when the advice on TripAdvisor is often better. Also you are probably well placed to monitor the AirCanada and WestJet prices as well.

Now, in return, can you tell me how to get out of my daughter in Canada forcing me to attend the game between the Blue Jays and Red Sox at the Skydome in June? :))))

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Princess cruises also leave from Vancouver on round trip and northbound to Whittier cruises.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,087 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise to Alaska

"Princess cruises also leave from Vancouver on round trip"

Nope. Not according to the CruiseAlaska website.and the Princess website, except for the pre and post repositioning cruises in May and September.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 12:35
Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Just to clarify.....

Princess does do one-way trips Northbound to Whitter from Vancouver.

Princess does not do round-trips from Vancouver, other than the repositioning cruises Frommy mentioned.

Joe

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise to Alaska

Since you are flying from Toronto Vancouver would be your best bet - no customs for you! The only check would be when you board the ship. And, spend a day or two in Vancouver if you have never been to the West Coast

10. Re: Cruise to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 10:23