We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cafe near muncho lake

Montrose, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
cafe near muncho lake

next week I am driving to alaska and would like to know if a cafe/motel/ truck stop is open this winter. I do not know the name or milemarker but it is about 10-15 miles south of muncho lake resort. It is just a wide spot but serves more food than you can eat! If anyone knows of this place and can give me info on it I would appreciate it greatly. thanks grandmacowboy@yahoo.com

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Hi, I just did that trip a couple of months ago...and have been driving that road for years. The Lodge of the Rockies has always been open...sitting on Muncho Lake...food, gas, great rooms considering where you are...up the road (north)

a ways but not to far...you will come to Laird Hot Springs....Provincial park..the hostel, gas station, restaurant is open all year..or has been every time I have driven that way....I stopped at both this trip in Jan....lot of snow...So enjoy..and be safe..

Rick Adventure Sixty North

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Maybe you should post your question on the British Columbia and Yukon forums. Muncho Lake is along Alaska Highway in BC and close to YT.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155045-i1403-Yuko…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154922-i80-Britis…

After several drives I cannot recall anything 10 -15 miles south of Muncho Lake Resort (not Northern Rockies Lodge). Although I can tell you about a few head trails around the lake and provincial parks. In March they wouldn't be accessible anyway and you’re not asking about any outdoor activities. Keep warm, have an emergency kit with you and a hot chocolate in your thermos.

Do you have Milepost? It covers a mile by mile all services and if anything like that still exists it will be listed in Milepost. Remember that many services along the Alaska Highway come and go quickly. BTW, Frances, welcome to the Alaska forum and TA. I suggest you remove your personal information (e-mail address) from your post or you'll be overrun with spam mails advertising credit cards, cheap medications without prescriptions, pills for enlargements and much more. I see you're new to TA but if someone wants to send a personal message PM to you this forum has an option of sending PM while clicking on your name. Click on a name and check it out on the left side of the box.

Be safe during your winter drive.

Montrose, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Thank you for your reply, the truck stop I am inquiring about is before the Lodge of the Rockies, they have a sign out in front of the motel rooms that say, if the lights are on, and the curtains open, register in the morning....they have huge meals, it has a few pumps and a place for trucks to stop. not a place you would remember unless you stopped. very homey, relaxed atmosphere..............

Montrose, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cafe near muncho lake

thanks for your reply, I have stopped at this place on the motorcycle....it is a rustic motel with great meals...the cafe is small, and it is not a place one would remember unless you stopped there...........

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Well, do you have the Milepost? You can find it there if it still exists.

<<before the Lodge of the Rockies>> Do you mean the Northern Rockies Lodge? http://www.northernrockieslodge.com/

Also before the lodge when traveling north? On the same side of the road like the Northern Rockies Lodge? The Milepost would be an ideal source to find this place. Often there are pictures of such places.

We always carry our picnic lunch with us and stay usually at the Northern Rockies Lodge so don't have personal experience with any truck stops.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 00:16
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cafe near muncho lake

I haven't driven the hwy for a number of years, but most times, it has been in the winter, and that cafe/motel was open. I had one of the best breakfasts anywhere there - it was a welcome spot and I hope they are still open! :)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Where is it CoalMiner? South or North of The Northern Rockies Lodge?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cafe near muncho lake

You know Places, I don't remember. It was on a move back to Alaska many years ago . . . driving along in the dark, and here is this motel. Simple - has a sign out front - "if the light is on in the room, it is available for the night - pay at the cafe in the morning." Room was clean, and then went to the cafe in the morning. Had homemade bread toast that was thick and oh so delicious. Lots of truckers stopped there to eat as well. It is a special memory on the Alcan. :)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Coalminer, now I want to know. Hopefully, Frances will come back to tell us. I'm in CA right now and don't have my Milepost with me but I would check this out. If it still exists it is listed in Milepost. Although my Milepost is from 1997 and things did change since then. I recall Liard Hot Springs Lodge wasn't opened during our two drives and then was opened again in 2010.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cafe near muncho lake

Could it be the Toad River Lodge? According to Milepost, it has been there is 1950 with restaurant, motel, cabins, post office, gas, camping, etc. It's about 30 mile south of Muncho lake.