We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan Pipeline

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Topic
Alaskan Pipeline

Hey everyone - here's some routes we'll be taking when in Alaska - can anyone tell me if we will catch a glimpse of the Alaska Pipeline anywhere along these routes?

Anchorage to McKinley Princess Lodge

McKinley Lodge to Denali Princess Lodge

Denali Lodge to Copper River Princess Lodge via unpaved Denali Hwy

Copper River to Whittier along the Seward, Glenn and Richardson Highways - stops include downtown Anchorage and the Matanuska Glacier, will also travel through the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel and drive along Turnagain Arm

I know some of this is vague...but just wondering.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

You will see the pipeline on your way to Copper River Princess, actually you can see the pipeline while you are at the lodge. Just look over the side of the hill on the south side of the lodge and there it is. I am not sure if you will see it along the Richardson because I can't recall if it is seen south or north of the Denali Highway. I am sure someone will chime in and let you know.

You will not see it between Anchorage and Denali or along the Denali Highway. It is also not in the area of the Seward Highway or Whittier. It is visible in Glennallen at the eastern terminus of The Glenn Highway. West of Glennallen you will not see the pipeline.

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

Thanks spacefry! When at Copper River ---- is it way off in the distance ---- or fairly close and good view of it?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

If I recall it isn't very far away right over the hill but it really is just a pipe coming out of the ground. I think it is emerging from a river crossing if I recall correctly. It is a little more interesting if you can view it at a place where they have some interpretive material to accompany it such as in Fox or other formal viewpoiints.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

When you drive the Denali Highway and come out at Paxson to head south to the Copper River Princess, you will be driving parallel to the pipeline all that leg of your trip. So yes, you will have plenty of opportunity to see it. When you leave Glennallen to drive to Anchorage you will leave the pipeline behind and not see it again.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

Shortly after you turn onto the Glenn Highway in Glennallen you drive over a buried portion of the pipeline. If you look either direction as you drive over you'll see where it dives into the ground to go under the road.

Here's the Google Map link: http://g.co/maps/kk9cd

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

I don't have my Milepost handy right now, but heading N on the Richardson (towards Delta Junction) from the Glenn there is a spot that you can stop and see the pipeline on both sides of the road. On the right hand side of the road is a large story-board exhibit about the pipeline.

This photo was taken of the pipeline on the left side of the road: …igougo.com/pictures-photos-p572763-Transala… .

Edited: 23 March 2012, 18:38
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

We stopped along the Richardson on the way to Valdez at a hand crafted knife shop, don't remember the name of the shop. From the shop, there was a short trail that lead us to the pipeline where you could stand right under it.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

Are you taking the Princess Cruisetour? If you are, the bus will stop at one of the pipeline information stops for pictures, etc. The Denali Highway is beautiful! We saw so much wildlife. Enjoy!

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

jezabel - yes we are doing the Princess Cruisetour. Did you do one? So happy to hear the bus will stop at the pipeline for pics and stuff (my husband will be estatic!...he loves all that stuff!) If you did the cruisetour how did you find it? So many say to do it own your own but that's just not an option for us right now. I think we'll still have a great trip regardless. How can something so beautiful not be good.....I'd rather see it via cruisetour than not go at all.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaskan Pipeline

Yes, it sounds like you are doing the same one we did 7 years ago. We loved it! We have been back twice on our own. The Cruisetour helped us decide what we would want to do on our own for future trips. Yes, we have saved with Toursaver & Northern Lights books, hotel and airline points. I used TA for planning tips that helped us plan a great trip. But that may not be for everyone at all times. You will have a great time!

All of the Princess Lodges are wonderful and have spectacular views. The Denali Highway was spectacular...which is why we have rented a car from a local car rental that will allow us to go on that road this year. There are several Roadhouses that the bus will stop at to "rest" and to pick up a snack, if you wish. If I were doing the bus again, I would sit on the Driver side as I think that was the side with all of the Great Vista Views. The bus will also make several photo stops. You will not regret the Cruisetour. Have a great time!