We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Hi, my friend and i are coming over from NZ and need to get from fairbanks to whitehorse so we can fly out to vancouver. Is there a bus route or train that we can take. We have all up 6 days and kinda want to see more of the countryside than flying. Please help us. Also any cool places for acc would be appreciated too. :0)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,604 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

You can fly or you can drive a car. There's no bus or train.

You can fly from Anchorage to Vancouver (if that's an option).

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Have you by chance heard of a company called alAplenglow?. They say they do a alaska-canada highway charter from fairbanks to whitehorse.

What is the hireage of cars like when going across boarder and only 1 way?

Lauren.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,077 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Kiwi,

You will not get a one-way car hire from Alaska to Canada. Please post a link to the mob you mentioned as I think that a spelling error has prevented a search to try to find the trip you might be referring to.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Hi,

Im so bad with computers. Haha. I hope this works.

It surely cant be that hard to find a way from Fairbanks to Whitehorse without flying.

www.alaskashuttle.com/fairbanks.htm

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,077 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

"It surely cant be that hard to find a way from Fairbanks to Whitehorse without flying."

You are joking, surely. These are extremely sparsely populated regions, and long distances. It is nearly 1,000 km between the two places, with very little in between, and although Whitehorse is the capital city of Yukon Territory, it only has a population of about 26,000.

I have seen the packages offered by Alaska/Yukon Trails before, but have not seen much said about them on the forums by way of a trip report. Perhaps others may have some positive advice to give.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Haha. It was worth a try. It sounds like it could be easier said than done.

Thanks anyway. Hopefully someone has another option.

Fingers crossed.

:0)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

Alaska Shuttle may be your only option.......you may want to post this question on the Yukon forum, as well......there are a few folks who live in Whitehorse that can answer your questions......

What jumps out to me on their website is that there is a minimum of six passengers, so that might be troubling if they decide not to go at the last minute......also the price of $319 sounds pretty high.......

You could consider a one-way car rental from Fairbanks to Skagway, Alaska (both points being in the same country) and then take the train/bus from Skagway to Whitehorse........compare the rates and consider the flexibility and peace of mind by being more in control of your transportation........

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

The easiest way is to fly from Fairbanks to Whitehorse, then rent a car and travel for a few days in Yukon. I wouldn't miss Haines, AK

You could also fly to Juneau, take the ferry to Skagway and from there, as mombear already suggested, take a train/bus combo to Whitehorse

What do you mean "cool places for acc"?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

I just wanted to add that there used to be direct bus line (I think this is the name) from Fairbanks or Anchorage through Tok to Whitehorse. One needed to change the bus in Tok. This service in now discontinued.

You can however take the bus from Fairbanks through Tok to Dawson City for $185.00 per person. You would need to stay overnight in Dawson City and the next morning take another bus to Whitehorse. This segment costs another $185.00 per person. Plus you pay for lodging and food. With this schedule you wouldn't have time for any sightseeing unless you decide to stay longer than one night in Dawson City. Keep in mind that buses (maybe vans) do not operate on these routes daily. It looks like for these two routes you would need minimum of 2 people but before making reservations confirm all details in writing. http://www.alaskashuttle.com/

Edited: 01 April 2012, 16:45
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from fairbanks to whitehorse in may

NZwestiechick

I think Places suggestion of a flight from Fairbanks to Juneau, ferry to Skagway then train/bus to Whitehorse sounds like it would really work for you.....based upon your other forums, it sounds like you and your friend are young, very social people......the looooong bus ride from Fairbanks to Whitehorse through very isolated country (scenery is gorgeous, but very little else to see)......may be very boring to you.......

If you could elaborate on this question as well as your other post......what actually are you looking for that you would consider "fun" that you would want to join with others your age ?......what do you mean by "cool places for acc" ?.........more details from you will give more appropriate answers......