We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some detailed questions about our July trip

Pune, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Some detailed questions about our July trip

Many thanks to the numerous posters who have responded to my earlier thread last week, and helped me finalize our itinerary. Our flight tickets are now booked, and itinerary practically frozen. In the process of booking our B&B accommodations.

We are a 50's couple, avid travelers in decent shape, undertaking our first (and probably last) trip to Alaska. Intend to drive all through. Love natural scenery and vistas. The itinerary, with the questions of detail, are given below. Arriving at Anchorage on July 24th.

Day 1: Arrive Anchorage in early afternoon. Check into B&B. Collect rental car. Could anyone suggest a "light" itinerary for things to do in Anchorage ? Maybe one to two sights max, as we will be stressed out after a long flight from JFK. Overnight in Anchorage.

Day 2: Drive to Seward, taking in the sights on the Seward Hwy. Hope to do guided walk near Exit Glacier. Other suggestions please ? (Note: we are not interested in fishing). Overnight in Seward.

Day 3: Take Kenai Fjord cruise : which cruise Company should we choose ? Is Major Marines cruise decent ? (They are mentioned on the Northern Light coupon book). Should we take the 6 hr cruise or the 7.5 hr cruise ? Overnight in Seward.

Day 4: Drive to Whittier for a PWS cruise. Which cruise Company to take ? The Major Marine is the only one which offers a 2 for 1 deal on the coupon book. However, if the Phillips 26 Glacier cruise is much better, we can go for that (without the coupon discount). Are the two cruises quite different ? After the cruise, we proceed to Girdwood to spend the night. Should we consider stopping at Portage Glacier on the way to Girdwood ? Which activities would you recommend at Girdwood, aside from the tram ride (which we intend to take) ?

Day 5: Drive to Matanuska Glacier and do the Ice Fall Trek. Then proceed to Talkeetna to spend the night. This might be a long day of driving - is it doable ? Should we consider going via the Hatcher Pass while going to Talkeetna, or would that be too much for a day ? Any suggested activities for the evening at Talkeetna ? How is the Mahay Jet boat ride ?

Day 6: Do morning flightseeing from Talkeetna. Which Company is most recommended ? I note that Talkeetna Aero Taxi is mentioned on the coupon book for a 2-for-1 offer. Any suggestions on which flightseeing tour to take ? Then drive to Denali NP. Maybe spend the first afternoon doing self-drive to Savage River, or Dog Kennel demonstration, or attending some Ranger led talk/walk. Overnight at Healy.

Day 7: Take shuttle into Denali NP. Suggestions by everyone seems to be to opt for the Wonder Lake shuttle. I believe it is a 11-hr round trip. Is it really worth it, and not too tiring ? I know that we should get off at Eielson if the mountain is not out. If the mountain is visible, is it really worthwhile to go all the way to Wonder Lake ? Overnight at Healy.

Day 8: Take shuttle into Denali NP, probably to Eielson ? Would like to do some mild hikes (cannot undertake anything very strenuous, but a level hike of about 60-90 minutes can be considered desirable for us). Could someone recommend some scenic easy hikes, where we need not worry too much about bear threats ? Any other activity recommended ? Overnight at Healy.

Day 9: Drive to Fairbanks. Can spend morning in Denali if required, and delay departure to Fairbanks. Suggestions ? Do not really need much of suggestion for Fairbanks, as we will be staying with some friends there, who can guide us well about things to do. Overnight at Fairbanks.

Day 10: Sightseeing at Fairbanks. Overnight at Fairbanks.

Day 11: Drive back to Anchorage. I know it is a long drive. Would have liked to break journey, keeping Talkeetna at this stage of journey rather than earlier, but not possible for various reasons. Should we at all consider returning via the Richardson/Glenn Highway rather than the shorter Park Hwy ? Is it much more scenic, and worth the extra distance ? How much longer ? We have nothing particular to do at Anchorage on return, except to catch a very late night flight out (at midnight). Suggestions for anything else to do on this day ?

I know that's a lot of questions posted above. I do not expect any single person to have the patience to answer them all ! However, people can chip in with whichever questions they can throw light on. We would really appreciate it. We are traveling all the way from India to visit this lovely land, and would like to make the most of this trip of a lifetime; so I apologize for the large number of queries.

Look forward to your help. Thanks in advance.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

While you are in Seward - check out the Sealife Center - I love it!

Day 5: You might consider staying near the Matanuska glacier rather than driving to Talkeenta - it is a lovely area. That section of the Glenn hwy is one of the most scenic in Alaska to me. Here is a good link to that area: http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

Here is a nice place to stay as well:

http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

Day 7: If it is a cloudy day and you have tired butts, just turn around at Eielson, but I would keep the booking to Wonder Lake. If it is a gorgeous day, you will want to go there.

Fairbanks - Riverboat Discovery, the museum and Creamer's field would be my top picks. Have fun! :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

Day 1, which B&B in Anchorage, what location? We'll find something within easy distance.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

A lot of advice has already been provided to this poster. Folks may want to read those threads too to save rehashing previous suggestions, etc . . .

tripadvisor.com/…37248527 .

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k52910… .

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

On your way to Seward, I like the http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ for a stop. Canyon Creek near Hope Junction is also a nice place to stop and stretch your legs.

On the Parks Highway going to/from Denali, the Veteran's Memorial at Mile 147 is my favorite stop.

I've gone with K2 Aviation in Talkeetna before and it was great!

Pune, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

Thanks coalminer for your excellent suggestions. Have taken note of the Sealife Center to visit at Seward.

You mention that the section of the Glenn Hwy near Matanuska glacier is the most scenic. If so, and since we will be driving on it to reach the glacier, should we forget about traveling on Richardson Hwy + Glenn Hwy while returning from Fairbanks to Anchorage ? Should we drive past the Milepost 102, where the Matanuska Glacier walks are situated - if so, till which Milepost ? What about going via Hatcher Pass while returning from Matanuska ?

Have also noted your suggestions about Wonder Lake shuttle and things to do in Fairbanks. Many thanks. BTW, which museum at Fairbanks do you refer to ?

Pune, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

Denalicat, at Anchorage I am looking to book either the "Alaska House of Jade" or the "Wildflower Inn". The Wildflower Inn looks reasonable in cost. Have yet to find out the price of the former.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

AKStafford, thanks for the suggestions of stopping at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Canyon Creek on way to Seward, and Veterans Memorial on way to Denali. All duly noted.

TimeshareVon, I know that I have received a lot of suggestions already, and am extremely thankful for them. However, my earlier threads were really oriented towards deciding which places to visit, and how much time to allot for each destination. Now I am looking for details on things to do at each location. Very happy to read the number of great suggestions already coming in.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

The house that now houses the wildflower inn is my husband's & my favorite house in Anchorage. It's a beautiful railroad era house of the 1940's that survived the earthquake in a vulnerable area. We were in it when it was still a private home. It's a great location, right near New Sagayas a great international market with great eat-in or take out food. Perfect for picking up lunch-to-go. Also right near the coastal trail & downtown.

Maybe someone on here knows the house of jade.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 19:30
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

We ask posters to keep their questions in a single thread to help us help you. When we have to go researching what we've already suggested, it is a waste of our time and yours, especially if shot down previously.

>>>Now I am looking for details on things to do at each location.<<<

And those other two threads did provide you with suggestions of things to do in many of the places you are now asking about again.

Specifically SDPryde suggested some things re: Anchorage I believe; Fairbanks, I offered advice including the "museum" that you were referred to here by Coalminer and subsequently asked "what museum?"; several folks suggested things in Seward; and regarding Denali, I'm pretty sure the question regarding Wonder Lake was also address previously.

I don't mean to pick on you, but more to inform you and others that many of your questions have already been addressed at least once.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some detailed questions about our July trip

Denalicat, you just made my decision about which B&B to book at Anchorage ! The Wildflower Inn it will be.