We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Hi all-I've had a good read through all the posts and need your help!

We have 4 nights in anchorage and love the look of both Denali and seward-as they are in opposite directions we can only really do one, which would you recommend?

Few facts about us-

Travelling in mid sept

Both early 30s fit and active

Love walking, wildlife and views

Happy driving

Would like somewhere nice to come back too!

Which way should we drive-north or south?!

Thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Your exact dates will be very important since the shuttles cease operation in Denali after the 14th of September.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Ahh-that might make the decision for us-we have booked wc 17th and 24th sept off work and can't go any earlier. Seward it is! Any advice on best split for 4 nights across anchorage / seward?

Thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

After the 17th you will be able to drive a private vehicle on the Denali Park Road for the first 30 miles depending on the weather. You should check out the Denali park website and see if that interests you.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

For the Anchorage area I would plan at least 2 nights in Seward. You can do an all day Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise, visit Exit Glacier, The Sealife Center or a sled dog kennel. Maybe spend a night in Girdwood where you can hike the Winner Creek Trail, ride the tram and visit Portage Glacier as well as the Wildlife Conservation Center. I would spend one night in Anchorage and plan to do some hiking in the Chugach Mountains, explore areas north of the city (Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Wasilla, Palmer), visist the Native Heritage Center, the Museum or walk along the Coastal Trail.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

I just checked and there is only one Kenai Fjords cruise available at that time through Kenai Fjords and Major Marine (the two big day cruise companies)- it's the 11:30 departure for the Kenai Fjord National Park cruise:

www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-nationalpark.html

The rest have ended by then. I'd get that booked somewhat ahead of time- there may not be as many people up here that time of the year, but since there's only one available, it could get full. Probably not, but I wouldn't want to take any chances myself.

I agree with two nights in the Seward area. That was you don't need to rush through anything. If you like hiking, on the second day you could do the Harding Icefield trek. It takes most of a day. You'll be dealing with the winter hours for the Sea Life Center (10-5pm) so be prepared for that if you want to visit.

I second all of spacefry's suggestions and highlight going for a hike in the Chugach on the east side of Anchorage- especially if you don't hike much in Seward.

Also, the Northern Lights Coupon book would save you $100 on your Kenai Fjords tour alone. The book is $50 and can be ordered on the link below. It has a coupon for the Sea Life Center that would save you $20 if you go there, one for the Native Heritage Center in Anchorage, etc.

http://www.northernlightscouponbook.com/

Edited: 09 April 2012, 22:13
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Thanks you both for your great route suggestions, links and money saving tips! TA is truly a great place for travellers.

I do fancy kenai Fjord tour and I know my partner would love to do dog sledding.

Final question-any views on accommodation in seward?

Thanks very much

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

http://www.angelsrest.com/

cabins with fireplaces right on the bay. otters at your feet, eagles overhead

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

Angels rest looks great - many thanks

8. Re: 4 nights in anchorage-head to Denali or seward?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:40