We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

I've read the thread of what to wear to Alaska in the summer and am seriously considering buying my husband and I rain suits. We'll be going through the inner passage the first week in July and then staying in the Seward/Anchorage area for a few days.

We don't have any waterproof clothing and I'm wondering if it would be smarter to just wear our regular stuff and put a rain suit on top for rainy, misty days on the ship and during excursions. We plan to zipline in Juneau, airboat at the Knik glacier, do a fjord tour in Kenai, go horseback riding in Anchorage, and take a float plane in Ketchikan.

Do you think the rain suits would be worth the money? Thanks for your help.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,520 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

I am not quite sure what you mean by rain suits. If I were going on a cruise, I would have a rain jacket of some kind, but I would only buy rain pants if I were planning on going hiking. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for the reply. By rain suit, I mean this:

amazon.com/Rain-R103L-Black-Nylon-3-Piece/…

The jacket and pants. It sounds like you think only the jacket is necessary.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

Worth the money? Worth the luggage space? To me the answer to that would be a resounding NO! We survived quite well with just a rainproof jacket.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

Oh, no way. The vast majority of days you will find a regular rain shell (ll bean, columbia, north face, helly hansen) just fine for getting around. Excursions generally have rain gear for all participants if needed. And worst comes to worst, every port has cheap rain ponchos for sail and/or inexpensive rain gear at nearby stores. In Ketchikan our Tongass Dock Store sells a nice brand of inexpensive rain gear called "Red Ledge" which a lot of us buy for our kids as they grow fast. It's also on Amazon and perfectly good stuff...I have a jacket from them that I've used for years in the summer.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

Unless you have a lot of use for what you posted, I would not get something like that.

I went with a Gortex rain jacket that folded up into its own small pouch. I got it at Cabelas. I bought something in a color and style I liked and have used it lot here in Michigan. Just wore it yesterday to run out and get pizza in the rain.Keeps me nice and dry as I have to run around town in the rain.

I debated the waterproof rain pants, but found a sale on them at LLBean. I left the tags on them, thinking if I didn't need them I would return them when we got home. Well, we did need them. The day our ship was going to Hubbard it was a rainy day. Since we like to be out on deck most of the time, they were just what we needed. We stayed comfy and dry. We also used them on one of our wildlife tours out on the water. Again, it was a rainy day and the jacket and pants kept me dry and allowed me to be outside instead of watching through a window. We always had them packed in our backpacks whenever we went out and about. I think a lot depends on you and what activities you have planned. If you will be content watching the scenery through a window if it is raining outside, and you don't have any tours planned where rain would be a factor, then perhaps you don't need them.

If you decide to buy something, try to choose something you could use back home.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
667 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

Any thoughts on what to use to protect our regular camera's in the rain?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

fti could answer that one for you. Actually protecting your camera in Alaska rain is no different from your rain.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

I use relatively inexpensive OpTech camera raingear. Costs under $10 for two of them.

Re: rain gear for the body, I agree that for most cruisers the rain jacket is enough. I always bring a rain jacket and rain pants since I am outside a lot in Alaska - boat tours and hiking. But most people probably only need the rain jacket.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

I think the key is will you be out on the deck in the rain like Mr Hubby & I do on day cruises? If not, a rain jacket is plenty. For me, the most important thing is that the jacket be both waterproof & breathable so as not to sweat in a rubber jacket!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we buy rain suits for an Alaskan cruise?

gotskilz77: Here is a camera idea I found that worked well to keep our camera dry:

www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/