We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

Mill Valley CA USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

I am looking for a small lodge in which to hold a family reunion. We need a place with 10 bedrooms--we'd like to rent the whole lodge. We'd like full meal service--breakfast. lunch and dinner. And we'd like it to be within an hour of one of the major Alaska airports. For activities, several of us like to fish. But we also have so older folks who don't do too much and are happy to just enjoy the lodge surroundings. Any recommendations?

alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

majestic valley lodge www.majesticvalley lodge.com

approx 115 miles from Anchorage Private, beautiful setting and great hosts. affordable.

Base out of here and family members can go to copper center to fish or do day trips to the matanuska glacier, Iditarod headquarthers.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

What year?

What month of the year?

An hour from a major airport is a key element, narrowing it down to outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau.

Hopefully, you'll get a lot of ideas on here!

Mill Valley CA USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

Thanks for your questions. Probably August 2013. Planning ahead.

Mill Valley CA USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

Thanks. I'll look at this one.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

Another thought might be Sheep Mountain Lodge. They have 11 cabins surrounding a main building. The food has always been wonderful there and the owners are Iditarod veterans with puppies/dogs on site (which can be a positive or a negative). It is easy to get to and close to many attractions. Check out their website, I would contact the early if you wanted to reserve the entire place for anytime in the summer.

http://www.sheepmountain.com/cabinsRates.php

Alaska
Level Contributor
530 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

I've never been on the grounds of Majestic Valley but I know they have a wonderful view! My first thought was the same as spacefry's: Sheep Mountain Lodge. I think it would be an ideal set-up for you. However, I don't know if they have a commons room of any kind, which would be a great plus with a group the size of yours and with your older folks.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

I think you said you would like to take over a whole lodge. And, to me that sounds like an advance non-refundable reservation, as you wish a small lodge

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

Sheep Mountain has a main lodge/dining room and are capable of hosting small wedding and events. I went to a wedding there and there was enough room for all of us 30+ or so.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

You might contact these guys: www.vbcalaska.org/conferencesretreats.html

They normally work with church groups, but they may be open to a family reunion....

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodge for family reunion in Alaska

You should contact Alyeska. That would put you close to Anchorage with all the amenities of the resort and with the Kenai for fishing, glaciers, scenery. The train can get you from there to Denali or Seward if some wanted to venture out without a car.

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/