We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Hike - advice please!

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Topic
Glacier Hike - advice please!

Hello,

We are interested in doing a Glacier Hike while in Alaska. We like to hike, however sometimes my knees get the best of me. That being said, is there anyway to do a Glacier Hike without the 2-3 hour hike just getting to the glacier? Like is there somewhere that we could fly in to do one or something like that? We are good with the few hours actually on the glacier....but I am afraid that the 2 or 3 hour hike to the glacier and 2 or 3 hours back may get the best of my poor knees.

Thoughts? i really want to see the crevasses and ice caves and glacier pools and all that...how can we do this?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

You have to give us a lot more information. When are you going? Where in Alaska will you be? How much is your budget? Who is "we"? and does that involve children?

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

Oh my! I should know better by now!

We will be going on land the last week of Aug 2013 and the cruise part the first week of Sept 2013.

We will be in the following areas:

Anchorage

Mt McKinley Princess Lodge

Denali Princess Lodge

Copper River Princess Lodge

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Budget is not an issue

We is my husband and I (age 34 and 44) - no children

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

When we hiked on the Matanuska Glacier we did a total of about 4 hours all together. I'd say it was about a half hour getting gear fitted on and transporting to the glacier area, another half hour walking into the glacier and then a couple of hours on it.

It was spectacular.

For more accurate/current information contact MIca (the guides we used) at:

http://www.micaguides.com/

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

Thanks for the info. This seems good, however we are not near this Glacier I don't believe.

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

We need this excursion to be accessible from one of the places listed above while we are staying at those plances.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

The easiest options for going on a glacier yourself are at

Matanuska Glacier about 100 miles away from Anchorage, between Anchorage and Glennallen.

Worthington Glacier between the Copper River lodge and Valdez.

Exit Glacier near Seward offers access, like Worthington, dependent upon the form of the glacier as it melts.

You may have ice forms that form a solid wall and crevasses you don't dare cross without professional guides, or you may encounter flat of gently sloping ice, as is most often the case at the Matanuska glacier.

Byron Glacier at Portage (south of Girdwood) is often mentioned, but I have never hiked back far enough over the residual snow to see if I could reach the ice. It is a beautiful, even spectacular, area, however, and to be recommended.

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

Thanks 71 - we would definatley want a guided tour. Any recommendations on a tour company for Worthington Glacier Hike?

bridgetown
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

.....still would really like to do the mandenhall in Juneau. Any way to get to the glacier hike part without doing the hike on the trails to get to the glacier?

Maryland
Level Contributor
593 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

Try the level 3:

http://www.northstartrekking.com/level_3.php

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glacier Hike - advice please!

Take a helicopter to the top of Mendenhall Glacier......