We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

My son and his wife are doing the above cruise and are concerned that the if there are formal nights they will need DJ and long dress. I did this cruise 10 yrs ago and don't remember anything this formal. Can anyone comment please?

Thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

We are going in Sept and read that they do formal nights. The ship offers a tux rental option which isn't too bad price wise.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

There are other dining options besides the dining room if they don't want to pack fancy dress clothes. They will also discover that "formal" to one person is not the same as "formal" to another. (On Princess, shirt and tie were seen, or just jacket with no tie) You may want to check out cruisecritic.com. This is always a hot topic over there!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

G'day Scotty,

You have been provided with a very good reply to your same question on the Cruise forum, and I will only add that very few go the tux/long dress route. I took a suit, my working clothes, but many men just had neat jackets and ladies pant suits.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

Thank you all very much. I have passed on your advice to Stewart and Julie. Anyone going on this cruise........Stewart will be wearing his kilt!

babmac

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

we have done many cruises. you don't need a tux. We use a travel suit (colored shirt with tie) and wife uses evening gown, although nice pants suit is fine too. There are those who use the buffet on formal nights to avoid dressing up for dinner. However, formal night means the whole evening and not just dinner.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

I'm actually looking forward to seeing mine in a Tux :). That is if we can find one that is big enough !!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

"formal night means the whole evening and not just dinner."

Not from my experiences. Dining room only with HAL.

8. Re: May 2nd HAL alaska cruise from Vancouver - Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:17