We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to book cruise

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
best time to book cruise

for july-august 2013 cruise, when is the best time to book to get the best deal? i have friends who book as far as a year ahead, or suggest at least 6 months ahead. this is for a party of 9. thanks!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to book cruise

We booked our July '12 cruise in August of 2011. That said, we have had 3 price reductions since bookings. If you book early, you get a wider selection of cabins, if you have location preferences, etc. if you book early, and want to save more money, you may have to stay on top of sales and promotions because most travel agents won't be searching to lower your price (and their commission). That said, we lucked out and had a great travel agent who did look out for us by looking for special promotions. I found 2 on my own, and our TA found the last one. Overall we saved about $800 in reductions over the last 11 months, that loosened up valuable excursion money for our post cruise self guided land tour.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 22:47
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to book cruise

I don't usually use an agent but book everything myself. would I still be able to make changes if price drops? Have done lots of traveling but never cruised before...

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to book cruise

We never use travel agents, either, but for a cruise I think it is wise, for the reasons stated in my previous post. If I had booked it myself I think it would have been problematic to rebook 3 times..you risk penalties depending on the specific cancellation policies...and you would be having multiple staterooms with 9 people.

The TA did not handle my land tour portion...I did all those bookings myself, which, by the way, worked out very well booking a year in advance because we were able to get deeply discounted car rental rates as well as lodging facilities at guaranteed at 2011 rates.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 10:01
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to book cruise

to book cruises w/o a travel agent is of no advantage. And a good agent will be able to guide you to other deals. We have booked cruises with the future cruise desk onboard Princess cruises and they always ask do we want to use our agent (who is on file).

And, yes, if there is a price reduction you can always cancel and rebook. Recommend if not particular about what cabin assignment, just book at entry level of type, such as balcony, as most likely, you will be upgraded.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 18:02
5. Re: best time to book cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:40