We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on Lodging Choices

PA
Level Contributor
842 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Input on Lodging Choices

**I attempted to keep this on one thread, but I didn't get any responses with this new question hidden in my trip schedule post.

Hello to everyone again! I have been looking at various lodging for our trip (websites, brochures, TripAdvisor suggestions, etc) and here is what I have narrowed them down to based on our budget, desires (clean, comfortable, views where affordable, location), etc. I would love any comments, advice, other suggestions that you may have.

Anchorage:

*Copper Whale Inn (realize this is a B and B), Hampton Inn Anchorage, or Holiday Inn Express

Seward:

*Holiday Inn Express Seward Harbor

Talkeetna (based on advice to shorten long travel day):

*Denali Overlook Inn

Denali:

*McKinley Creekside Cabins or

*Denali Park Hotel

(I realize both of these are 10-15 minutes? away from the park.)

Our plan is to take this trip in late June of 2013. We haven't gotten specific dates figured out yet, but how far out should I plan on making reservations for lodging? This seems to vary so much on all of our different trips. Is six months out far enough in advance?

Thanks so much for all of you help!!

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

I can only comment on Anchorage and say that you will love the Copper Whale Inn. After dozens of trips to Anchorage I have given up on most hotels there and find the Bed and Breakfasts far more comfortable, cleaner and better value. The Copper Whale Inn also has a spectacular location and views. I love how close it is to both downtown for dining and shopping, and the coastal trail for exercise and scenery.

PA
Level Contributor
842 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

Thanks rainbirdreader! That is the great advice I am looking for in planning. I will be booking our Anchorage days at the Copper Whale Inn.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

Well, for Denali it is a bit difficult to compare - since one is a hotel and the other a cabin . . . either are fine, but are just different. Did you look at any others? :)

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

We really liked Denali Lakeview Inn in Denali. I much preferred being in Healy than I would have at Glitter Gulch. We stayed in the Alaska room which was a mini apartment. It was on a beautiful lake and had a wonderful "feel" to it. We saw a Moose swimming in the lake from our bed.

If you want to stay in at the park entrance, check out the two different coupon books. Both have coupons for some of the hotels at the entrance.

PA
Level Contributor
842 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

coalminer,

I did look at other lodging but must have discarded the names in an effort to downsize my trip file. I am very open to any suggestions you might have other than the two I listed. I just wanted to narrow my choices down before I asked for help from the forum. My husband and I are always open to different types of lodging (hotels, BandB, cabin, lodge, rustic, chain, mom and pop). We just are looking for safe and clean when we travel.

jenniferg72,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it and compare it to my other choices. Glad you had a great trip!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at both Anchorage and Seward. We like the former in the winter as they have a good resident rate. As for Copper Whale Inn have looked into it but prices seemed more than the hotels. Assume they provide free parking as that is a luxury downtown.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

Sort of depends on your nightly budget and the amenities you want . . . that is the difficulty in comparing as there are more differences in some than similarities. :)

PA
Level Contributor
842 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

I'm attempting to keep our nightly lodging budget under 200.00. We just need a basic room. While we enjoy certain amenities, our main focus and budget is for the adventure so we don't need anything fancy.

*Double bed

*Private bathroom

*Clean

*Close to our planned activites

Nice to have: I would not go above budget for any of these.

*microwave

*small refrigerator

*great view

I really can't think of anything else.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

I haven't stayed there but I recall the Denali Park Hotel as a generic kinda place; looks like modular buildings used for schools or offices. Great price though! I've never read a negative comment about the place. Budget Queen stays there frequently and has positive comments. My friends stayed at Aspen Haus cabins 2 yrs in a row. Loved it. Saw a moose from their room one yr and a fox the next. It included b'fast fixings and was around $140 a night. Someone had photos of aspen haus in their trip report. I'll try to find that and PM you.

The Holiday Inn in Seward is a great location, right there on the harbor. (I've always been intriqued by the the waterfront yurt in Seward).

You've got time to consider your options. Watch the trip reports carefully as they come this summer. They're a great resource.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 22:15
PA
Level Contributor
842 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Input on Lodging Choices

Great information yescanada! I will take a look at the new ideas you listed. I LOVE reading all of the trip reports and have gotten many ideas from them. Thanks so much for the continued help--planning is half the fun for me!:)

k2iks, Thanks for your input--all information is so helpful for trip planning. It is hard to believe I used to do this without the internet or TripAdvisor!