We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Advice!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Advice!

Hello all,

Want to submit a trip report in appreciation of all the help that I've received but fear it will be too long (20 days)... Don't have an external link like some, any advice? Should I break it up? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Advice!

You can do it either way. getjealous.com and mytripjournal.com are both easy to use and free if you'd rather do it that way. I like mytripjournal because of the ease of adding pictures.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Advice!

Long trip reports are fine- we love them! If you need more time to type, it works well to write it in a word processing program & then copy & paste it here. It's good to have it copied in case there is a glitch on the forums. You certainly don't want to lose all that work.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Advice!

I'm looking forward to it!

My only comment/preference is to not post them piecemeal in separate threads (especially if there is going to be as many as 15-20). Keeping all of the posts in a single thread makes it easier to read from a continuity perspective.

That said, the mere fact that you're willing to provide a detailed trip report is greatly appreciated, so do what is easiest for you :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Advice!

We had a poster a few months ago that did a very long, in-depth trip report. He used the method Von suggested above. Jim had many of us in suspense and waiting breathlessly for the next installment.

Can't wait to read yours.

Scott

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Advice!

Any trip report is good. The last long trip report I did was on the Big Island - I did it based on the area - did one for Kona side and one for Hilo side. You could also break it up by the regions you visited while here rather than day by day. Lots of varieties - just glad you want to do one! :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Advice!

I can't wait to read it. The last one I read is making me wish I had opted to fly and stay rather than a cruise. I guess the cruise will just make me want to come back again and stay some where for a bit.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Advice!

I like to formulate my report offline as I am traveling. Also, any content you post on TA is no longer "yours." Thus I like just posting a link to the report here on TA. But do what you feel is best for you.

My last report was 20 days long too. I can't wait to read yours!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Advice!

MrsCombs - you can always come back - there are often really good fares btw here and Honolulu - often cheaper than going from here to Mainland. So next time you can just plan on a land trip. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Advice!

Thanks all, have decided to take coalminer's advice and will post south of anchorage then north, our trip was split about in half that way, should be able to get at least the south posted today!

I will second the tip about great airfares from HNL, we got a great price on this trip just by booking real early and a little on the "shoulder" of high season.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Advice!

I know as I take advantage of it when I can! A friend managed to grab a ticket on the new direct to Kona - cost less than $300 for the RT fare I believe - gotta love that! A visit to paradise is always a great thing! I can't wait to read your trip report - mahalo. :)