We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

We arrive in Anchorage on 7-27-12 evening, staying the night at Hilton Garden Inn, have a rental car, spending two nights in Talkeetna Chalet B&B check in 3-5pm, then return to Anchorage on Monday to catch the Princess Bus to Whittier after noon.

Plans so far, dinner reservation for Friday evening, Denali flight Sunday AM. We might be early risers since we are 2 for Michigan, and 1 from London England.

The questions:

Any recommendation for breakfast Saturday morning? I know we can eat in the hotel. No real price range, I see there is an Ihop but is there a local place with good food and character?

Any recommendations to do before we leave Anchorage or things to stop and see along the way up to Talkeetna? And also things to see on the way back on Monday! (It is a round trip drive! LOL)

What not to miss in Talkeetna? Thinking about canoeing on Byers Lake if the weather is nice. Not sure we want to do a jet boat ride. Thinking about dinner at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge?

I have spent weeks on TA and my head is spinning (maybe it's the Tequila?)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

In Talkeetna have breakfast at the Talkeetna Roadhouse, quintessential alaskan & great breakfast:

http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/

In Anchorage you might enjoy breakfast at Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant which has a lot of Alaskana but just basic breakfasts, although they do have reindeer sausage:

http://www.gwenniesrestaurant.com/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

Suggested stops on the way to Talkeetna: http://alaska.org/driving/talkeetna-drive.htm

My favorite stop is at the spirit houses and orthodox church in Eklutna about 15 miles north of Anchorage.

http://eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

If you have time to take a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna, it is well worth the money. Just last week we took the Mt McKinley summit tour with Talkeetna Aero Services. It was one of the highlights of our trip, just incredible. Be careful with K-2 Aviation. We met a couple who had reservations with them and K-2 cancelled their flight "for routine maintainance" and never notified them in advance.They showed up and were turned away with no alternative plan. They were given a refund but had to scramble to the other companies to try to find a flight. Always reconfirm flights as you get close to your trip .

Edited: 21 July 2012, 20:17
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

Be sure to spend time down at the river on the beach in Talkeenta. It is a great spot to relax and see Denali if the mountain is out. We literally spent 4-5 hours just hanging out here, reading and talking with the kids skipped stones.

If you have even in a slight interest in climbing, go to the ranger station and watch the video on climbing the mountain and talk to the rangers. Also, strike a conversation with any climbers you see in town, you can spot them with their beards and red faces from weeks on the mountain. We will never climb and found hearing first hand accounts to be one of the most facinating converstations.

Definately eat breakfast at the roadhouse and stop by one evening for dessert. We stayed there at the cabin in the back and spent some time hanging out the common room talking to people. My son, who is a cinnomman bun expert (LOL) said that they were the most amazing he has ever had. He inhaled it in like 3 minutes and it was almost the size of his head.

We really liked Twister Creek at the Denali Brewing Company. Probably our favorite meal in alaska. The sweet potatoe fries were to die for.

Walk through the shops.

I have to say that Talkeenta was our favorite place on the whole trip (we did Denali, Girdwood, Seward, Talkenta), but it's more of a place to hang out than a place to cross lists of things off that you have done.

We didn't do the jet boats but they looked like a lot of fun.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

We had 2 really great meals at the West Rib Pub in Talkeetna

Edited: 22 July 2012, 05:35
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

In Anchorage, Snow City Cafe is a great place for breakfast and if you can get there early on a Saturday the wait will be a lot shorter.

On Your way back from Talkeetna you may want to check into visiting Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, you can access the mine through Wasilla and exit the area in Palmer then maybe drive the Old Glenn Highway through The Butte on your way back to Anchorage.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

I second the Snow CIty Cafe in Anchorage for Breakfast. Very nice local spot, with terrific food.

Another option for the day you head to Whittier, is to take a Prince William Sound Glacier Tour upon your arrival in Whittier. If you are going to Alaska for its scenery and wilderness viewing opportunities, this is a great opportunity!! (IMHO) To accomplish this you may have to cancel your Princess Transfer if it will not get you into Whittier in time. The PWS vendors do offer packages from Anchorage that include coach or train transfers to Whittier for their tours.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

Gwenies or Snow City in Anchorage would be good for breakfast.

I wouldn't recommend the restaurant at the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. It seemed over priced. You have a car, and there's lots of good places to eat in Talkeetna. Twister Creek & Latitude 61 are my favorites. Oh, and the Flying Squirrel Bakery on the road into Talkeetna is a definite stop.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

We drove into Anchorage Friday from up north and had our car serviced and had breakfast nearby. It was the Peanut Farm, a neat funky place overlooking Campbell Creek. It is not far from the airport. Wednesday and Thursday evenings we stayed at the Mt McKinley Princess Lodge and had done the Three Rivers Jetboat ride which dropped us right off near the lodge. We booked through the lodge, but since you are staying in Talkeetna book it separately and save $19 each. We really enjoyed it. Flight seeing and glacier landing is also good.

It is going to take you maybe three hours (maybe less) to return to Anchorage. Assume you are returning your car downtown and taking the Princess transfer from the convention center. The bus leaves around noon. Any side trip to Hatcher Pass will not really work for your time element.

If you rented an Avis car you could turn it in at Whittier. There are some glacier cruises right next to the ship that you could fit in. The Coral Princess will probably leave around 8 p.m.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two days in Anchorage / Talkeetna

We were in Talkeetna in late summer 2011 --

-- Definitely need to experience breakfast at Talkeetna Roadhouse.... and the food's good too...

-- If you're not sure about a jet boat ride, consider one of the river float trip's... six to eight people in a large raft, floating along at the speed of the current..... great platform for seeing wildlife... on one of the shorter trips we saw eagles, beaver, salmon.... nice experience!