We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

We are planning a trip to Alaska the first 9 days in June 2013. It will be 2 adult couples.

For now, we are planning to fly to anchorage and spend 4 days at the House of Jade bed and breakfast.

- We will rent a car. Do some sightseeing (fly in bear viewing, botanical gardens, museum, market, maybe fishing).

-Take the train north to Denali and spend 2 nights at the park entrance (lodging?) then the train back to anchorage.

-Then drive to seward and spend 3 nights at the exit glacier lodge. Take a boat to Kenai Fjords, glaciers, whale watching, wildlife cruise.

What lodge would you consider at Denali. We were thinking Princess that also runs the train and do a package.

Do you have a favorite trip from Seward?

Do you have a favorite bear viewing trip out of anchorage?

Any suggestions to the above strategy would be appreciated

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

Is there a reason you want to stay in Anchorage for 4 days (do you have enough activities to do in the city to keep you occupied)?

The train to Denali has some very nice scenery; but not having a car there can "handcuff" you.

Will you (& your travelling companions) enjoy hiking?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

If you rent a car then take a train to Denali and back for two nights be aware that you are paying for those two days that you are not using the car. If you decide to do a Princess cruise tour such as Denali to the ship do your Seward thing first as Princess does not port out of there

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

We do like hiking, but only as an excursion, not repeated hiking excursions.

I hadn't thought about not having the car at Denali. Would we be able to find enough tours and such (jeep safari, the show at night, hiking) to occupy 3 days/2 nights, or would driving up be a better idea?

I had though staying in anchorage and flying out for bear viewing, flying out for half day salmon fishing, seeing the botanical garden, riding the trolley, going to the market, maybe the reindeer farm, and the museum. Would you suggest dropping a day there and spending more time elsewhere? It could be we might make it through those events pretty quickly. I was trying to make sure we didn't spend too much time driving and not enough time enjoying.

We aren't doing a princess cruise, but a cruise to the Fjords and glaciers (day trip). Princess also runs the train tour up to denali and their lodge and then back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 17:04
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

Since there are two couples........one couple could take the train up to Denali and one couple could drive, then reverse the scenario on the way back.......that way you will have the car to use while you are in Denali......

I also agree that four nights in Anchorage is too long, unless you enjoy large cities........

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

I too would not recommend 4 nights in Anchorage with all of Alaska out there to experience! I would certainly add at least another day in Denali.

Most of us recommend shuttle bus trips into Denali, rather than tour buses.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

I'm no expert, since I'm leaving for my first Alaska trip next week. But I researched car vs train to Denali and decided on the car. It's much less expensive if you have a group, and you can stop anywhere you want. I was also surprised that the train trip takes longer than driving. I'll let you know how the car works out for us. :-)

My trip is a bit shorter than yours, so pretty much the only thing I'll see in Anchorage is the car rental office. Feel I need more time in Denali and Kenai.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

I love MomBear's idea of splitting the train and car rides.

Though MomBear, I do choke on the "big city" reference. I find it to be a big town, small city at best (You can drive right across ANC in 20 minutes traffic willing!) :)

Level Contributor
20 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

We stayed in the Princess lodge in Denali and absolutely loved it. The train ride from Achorage up was very nice even if a little pricey. But then you do have the car issue. We also stayed in Princess lodge at Mount McKinley and loved it too. It is more rustic and less hotel like but still very nice. We went salmon fishing from McKinley just an FYI you might check it. I agree Anchorage has some nice things to see but definitely not 4 days worth. We didn't go to Kenai but would love to try that. We went on to Fairbanks. Anyway, hope you love it as much as we did. I so want to go back.

9. Re: June 2013 trip- lodging/itinerary thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:15