We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Anchorage, Alaska
5 posts
Save Topic
Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

My family and I love to car camp across the Denali Hiway; the sky, the scenery, the wildlife are all amazing. This year I had a hunt trip (my first) off the hiway and decided to stay at Alpine Creek Lodge for a few nights. It was perfect for us! At mile 68, the lodge sits up above a beautiful valley that stretches for miles and miles. The rooms are comfortable and feel like home. The food was delicious and was served family-style on a long heavy wooden table in the main floor. The informality and warmth was so welcoming, and Jennifer and Claude clearly work hard to make their guests feel at home (they also work hard to help you do what you came for: fish, hunt, view wildlife, hike, or just enjoy the view from the huge deck.) I watched them handle logistics for a large party of hunters, while they fed a small family of tourists and also managed to start us out to the best grayling fishing day we had (which we did because Jennifer took us there and fed us a hot meal midday!).

I'm already looking for my next vacation days, because I want to bring my buddies and rent the large log cottage that has a kitchen and bed space for a group. Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Squirrel,

Pardon my suspicions, but your writeup is a first for you and it reads like an advert for a very attractive lodge. I don't have the hunting regs in front of me but am with an old buddy in Fairbanks, one who has more familiarity with the Denali Hwy than i do.

We are both wondering what has a hunting season on the Denali in the first half of August? Please enlighten us.

This will be interesting to hear what had open season so early. The reverse side of that (no information) is that failure to give a good answer will convince people your first posting as a fine advertisement and nothing more.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Anchorage, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Well, it isn't an open season, it is a registration hunt: subsistence Tier I caribou hunt. I got a beautiful 600 lb bull. Look up GU 13 in your regs. First opening for the registration permit is 8/10; second is 10/21. I'm a real visitor. I live in Anchorage, am a lawyer, have a couple kids.

I guess this is a compliment because I write so well! Lol!

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,325 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Hi Squirrel & welcome to TA,

Thanks for the report. Since_71 is echoing what many regular posters (including myself) have a concern with on suspicious posters (my suspicions are controlled by medication!!)

The best way to ensure that a review of a hotel/accommodations stays around (the forum has a "lifespan" is to go to "Alaska Hotels" and put your review there. If Alpine Creek Lodge is not already there, there's an option to have TA research it & set it up. The reviews are forever.

I too like the Denali highway (have only camped on it).

I may not be an attorney; but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!!

Scott

Mentioned in this post
Denali Highway
Denali Highway
90 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Thanks for your post. It is not your fault but TA should have the same rule as Cruise Critic - you can't start a thread raving about or bashing any business or vendor. These belong in the reviews, not in the forum as a free "advertisement."

What will lend more credibility to your review is if you continue posting about your other experiences while you travel through the beautiful state. If these are the only posts you have it will confirm our suspicions. If you post about other lodging or tour or other experiences it will lend more credibility to your posts.

Alaska
Level Contributor
542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Frankly, my suspicions are extremely strong. I looked up the reviews for this lodge and....wonder of wonders....the majority of their reviews are one-post wonders and..surprise!..all 5 stars! The descriptions in these reviews are all very similar....similar wording, similar experiences. Painful to read.

And yes, the above posting sounds exactly like an advertisement.

This is what makes me so disgusted with TA when people abuse it in this way.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Whew! Rough crowd!

I have never posted because I never really cared to share a good spot before. Didn't know how to navigate the site to the right place. I'll hea there now. Wow. You'd think that people who were planning vacations would be a more cheerful bunch.

FYI: not an advertiser, relative, or friend. It really was a great break in the middle of that dusty bumpy hiway. I'm done defending myself, so y'all can stop picking like little hens.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Part of the blame falls to TA itself as they do little to really protect the interests of the traveling public.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Oh, and I won't be posting again. I won't even look here again. Why would I want to be in a discussion with the folks replying here? Act like you own it. Grumpy and taking this all WAY too seriously.

Express is great.....I'm a lawyer for a non-profit, so I usually do stuff on the cheap.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Do you regulars think there is anyway we can petition TA to not allow new threads that praise or complain about a particular vendor, lodging, restaurant etc? It is far better for these issues to be part of the reviews where they belong.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,325 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best part of Denali Hiway roadtrip: Alpine Creek Lodge!

Hmmm... I've never seen SquirrelBrain and myself in the same spot at the same time!

:)