We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

Looking at returning to Alaska late Aug. We would like to do a fly in day trip to see bears but we realize late Aug is a bit late, do you agree or does someone have experiences that suggests otherwise? We want to fly out of anchorage, and not opposed to an overnight stay. I did look over the thread for bear trips, but none covered late Aug. just June and July. It would be nice to be on land instead of a boat due to the long lens and tripod. Both adults and in good shape to walk, so open to hiking to the bears if needed.

If someone has experience with a flight service or guide service, would appreciate the info. Kudos to the Destination Experts for their help, and I also welcome input from other members like me. Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

When exactly in late August are you thinking? Rather than being late, you may just be early. There are a lot of bears that come around in September to eat the salmon that are spawning out.

You could fly into Brooks/Katmai with Rust's out of Anchorage and camp there overnight. If that's your plan, make sure you are on top of getting campground reservations when they kick off on January 5th so you can get the dates you want. You don't really need a guide at Brooks. There are plenty of rangers around to answer any questions you have.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

I can go 23 aug to sep 7, want to do 7 days at Denali also. So do the bear trip at the beginning or the end, what do you think?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

Maybe TimeshareVon will chime in about Lake Clark NP but I think that might also be peak in your timeframe.

If you go to Brooks then later is better. But for camping in Aug/Sep you dont need to be online at 9am on Jan 5 like you do for July travel.

Late Aug is ideal for Denali for fall colors. Seven nights there. That is great. I spent seven days at Denali last month.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 02:42
Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

We were at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark NP on Aug 23rd this year. There were many bears and they were pretty active trying to bulk up for winter, although it was almost entirely females and cubs. The males have moved on by that time of year. There were not a lot of salmon coming in, but still enough to get lots of action shots. If you go, I absolutely recommend doing the overnight trip. For the money differential, you get much more time with the bears.

Also, we were in Denali Aug 29th-Sept 1 and the foliage was spectacular.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

>>>Maybe TimeshareVon will chime in about Lake Clark NP but I think that might also be peak in your timeframe.<<<

Yes we also did Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark NP around Labor Day 2010 and had a great time. As GullBayGirl reports, that late in the season, the moms + cubs and single sows will be down around the lodge and coastal area. To see males, you'd need to be around right after the lodge opens for the season in mid June.

We also did an overnight which for the added money is well worth it given that day trips will run you $600pp and the overnight, including first class meals will run around $850pp.

If you are interested in reading more about our trip, plus seeing some photos, I have written a review for IgoUgo.com which is included in this trip report/journal: igougo.com/journal-j74687-Alaska-US_National… .

6. Re: Fly in Bear Watching in Aug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:17