We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska RV Vacation planning

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska RV Vacation planning

We are planning our first trip to Alaska and first time RV renters for Aug 2013. Husband, wife and 13yr old daughter and we love outdoor activities. My first point of planning is would we have enough time to do Denali and Kenai Fjords area, we have RV for 11 nights pick up in Anchorage. Would like to see as much as possible so any ideas or suggestions of routes activities are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Tigger your best first step is to read the trip reports that have been posted here on the AK Forum. Several of us have posted detailed RV reports over the past couple of years. (You can do a "search" from the main AK Forum page . . . entering RV Trip or something like that.)

You will also want to pick up a Milepost, which is a very good & detailed guide book with maps and attractions on a mile-by-mile basis throughout Alaska.

You may find 11 nights is not enough to do as much as you would like . . . but it is certainly enough to do the Kenai and Denali and points in between.

Once you have some more ideas about what you'd like to see/do, there are a lot of great people here with experience to help you.

Happy planning!

p.s. We were first time RVers back in August 2010 and did just fine. It's not really that difficult to do or to figure out once you're out on the road. We loved the flexibility it gave us.

Here is the blog that I wrote from "on the road" with a post trip wrap-up once we were home . . . bennettsgreatalaskanadventure.blogspot.com/ .

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Thanks Timeshare Von, your blog looked amazing i got quite a bit of info from it, we are definitely booking the bear viewing overnight at Silver salmon creek i think that will be a highlight.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Glad to know it had some useful info. I tried to write it (especially the wrap-up) in a manner what would be beneficial to future Alaska RV travelers.

Please feel free to write back with any questions you may have :)

p.s. I loved the SSCL and look forward to returning again someday.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

It's amazing how much you can see in 11 days in an RV. Our first trip was for 11 days and we stayed at Teklanika CG in Denali for 2 nights, plus spent time in Fairbanks, Valdez, Seward, Homer and Anchorage. Needless to say we've had to make later trips to see more of each place, but it was a great introduction!

California
Level Contributor
225 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

You will be able to see lots in 11 days! We had our RV for seven, and explored Whittier, Matanuska Valley, and Denali. We skipped Seward this time. The highlight for my 14-year-old was the Glacier Trek at the Matanuska Glacier with MICA guides. I highly recommend it! The drive out that valley was spectacular. We also did a glacier day cruise out of Whittier, which everyone enjoyed.

Brownwood, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

I hope you did not rent from Clippership. You will be very disappointed, as we were. Thank goodness, after a frustrating wasted day, we got a refund and ABC RV Rental saved our vacation, by renting a very nice new RV. Clippership will give you less than what you agreed to and never offer an explanation, just hope the customer will not ask questions.

We stayed in the National Parks and every one was wonderful

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Welcome to the forum Alice.......I see you just joined today and both of your posts are about the same topic......

Rants and raves by first time posters are often not given much credence.......

Which National Parks did you visit ?......what were the activities you enjoyed the most and least ?......any tips about camping in an RV ?......Posting a trip report would be very helpful to folks considering doing a similar trip..........

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Hi Alice,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

I agree with mombear's post. I hope you will tell us about your AK trip so readers can enjoy that (your trip experience) and to give readers a little more confidence in your RV/motorhome review.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

Thanks Twosue i didnt consider the Matanuska glacier but just had a look at Mica website , we have a total of 13 nights now in the RV so will def fit this in, thanks for the tip.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska RV Vacation planning

I too love the Matanuska GLacier treks. I prefer early or late in the days to get some neat angles of sunlight on the ice.

I also love the Girdwood/Portage area. It's close to ANC and has really good value (inexpensive and really good AK activities, especially for the teen). Here's a bunch of stuff to consider:

Here's a google map link to give you an idea of where the are at:

http://tinyurl.com/alow9vc

Activities/links:

- AK Wildlife Conservation Center (wildlife)

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

- Crow Creek Mine (historic and pan for gold)

crowcreekmine.com

- Crow Pass (adventurous hike)

www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/CrowPass.htm

- Winner Creek Trail (awesome hand tram & gorge)

www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Winner.htm (start from the "mine" end)

- Byron Glacier hike/walk (play on the toe of a glacier - keep a plastic shopping bag available for a sled)

…usda.gov/recarea/…

- Portage Glacier cruise/boat ride

http://www.portageglaciercruises.com/

- Begich Boggs Visitor Center

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/…

- Whittier Tunnel

http://dot.alaska.gov/creg/whittiertunnel/

- Portage Pass hike (Whittier side of the tunnel)

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/learning/…

www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/PortPass.htm

- Trail of Blue Ice (Williwaw/Portage)

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/learning/… and

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/learning/…

- Williwaw Salmon viewing (in season)

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r10/specialplaces/…

Camp at the Williwaw campground.

Good luck,

Scott