We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from anchorage

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from anchorage

We are planning a Rocky mountain trip and cruise to Alaska. We are probably taking the Princess line starting in Vancouver and ending in Whittier but will need to travel back to Vancouver / Calgary for our return flight home to the UK. Could anyone advise how easy it is to get from Whittier to Anchorage airport and what means of transport would be available for this e.g. taxi / public transport (bearing in mind we will have luggage) or if there are other means of transport we could consider for getting back. Also does anyone have any idea of the cost of getting from Whittier to Anchorage airport? There are flights from Anchorage to the UK but not regularly. Thank you for your help.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from anchorage

All of the cruise lines offer transportation from the port (Seward or Whittier depending on the line) to Anchorage airport, or to downtown Anchorage. From Whittier there are buses, rental cars or trains, all of which are geared to moving the cruise passengers up into the city, so you needn't worry.

In planning your return to the UK, look especially at departing from Seattle instead of Vancouver. For the past couple of years, there has only been one daily flight from Anchorage to Vancouver, versus numerous daily flights to Seattle. Consequently the prices are considerably higher to Vancouver than Seattle. Seattle has daily nonstop service to London (British Airways) and numerous other connecting routes, and as a rule airport taxes and overall cost of flying are cheaper out of Seattle compared to Vancouver. If you're flying into Vancouver or Calgary in the first place, it's easy to arrange an "open jaw" itinerary, UK > Canada, US > UK at very little price difference compared to a straight return ticket.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from anchorage

Thank you -very helpful! We are exploring possibility of flying back from Anchorage to UK without flight to Vancouver / Seattle / Calgary involved and there are flights (not that regular, although fortunately around the time we are thinking of) which has a change in Iceland, with both legs of the journey being operated by Icelandic airways and the actual journey time not too bad so would just mean an overnight in Anchorage which may be interesting in any case and add to the holiday. I have never heard of the "open jaw" arrangements, do you ring the air line direct to arrange these? If I go to the website to check out the prices the single tickets for different airports (arrival and departure) are coming up almost as much as a return ticket to the same airport, which means that trying to arrange 2 singles to accommodate travel into and out of different airports costs almost double the return prices quoted for a return ticket using the same airport.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from anchorage

Right, I forgot that Icelandair now fly to/from Anchorage. (For what it's worth, Anchorage used to have daily nonstop service to London on British Airways - planes en route from Tokyo to London via the "polar" route; this ended when overflying Russia was made easier after the demise of the USSR.)

Open jaw flights are done all the time. For example, go to the Icelandair website and look for the "stopover/return from another city" option. Icelandair fly from numerous cities in Europe to Iceland, then from Iceland on to numerous cities in North America. In your case they fly to Seattle, so you could easily book an open jaw itinerary (so-called because on a map it looks like a "<" or ">" i.e. an open mouth) that returns from Anchorage, again via Iceland. One nice thing about Icelandair is that they allow a "free" stopover of up to a week in Iceland either on the outbound or return portion, so if you have the time that might be a nice perk to consider.

You can also book an open jaw using any of the big online travel agents like Opodo or Expedia - look for "multi-destination" options (or some similar term.) Usually the price is very similar to one you'd get by looking at the return prices from each place (say, London to Seattle and London to Anchorage) then adding them and dividing the result by two.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from anchorage

Don't forget that during the summer, Condor air flies to Anchorage and Fairbanks from Germany - and you go direct I believe. :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from anchorage

When I have flown Condor we have stopped in Whitehorse but just a stop no plane change and we didn't even get off the plane.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from anchorage

OK Thanks for this, I'll have a look. :-)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from anchorage

Thank you.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,698 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from anchorage

G'day again Barbara,

Is there any particular reason you have chosen a one way cruise? In your very first postings in relation to an Alaska cruise I advised you to look at the Top Questions on this forum and to read the one on cruises. Did you do that?

OK, I am going to go a different direction to the others above, and keep in mind that we all have our own opinions.

My take on this is to look at the economics. There is a lovely term used in that discipline - 'opportunity cost' which is the cost of the opportunity foregone for the opportunity chosen. In this instance the only opportunity gained is a visit to College Fjord on a NB cruise which round trips from Vancouver do not visit, but all other factors, comparing a HAL Vancouver round trip and a Princess one way, are practically the same cruise wise.

So for that opportunity you will be required to arrange transport to Anchorage and most probably have to fly back to Seattle/Vancouver before flying home with the only additional gain being a coach trip from Whittier to Anchorage the way I see it.

I am sorry, but that is not my idea of a good choice of options. Had you had some time to devote to south central Alaska at the end of the cruise that would, in my mind, be a very good choice, but .......

(Frommy stands by for some flaming)

9. Re: Flights from anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:17