We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking with stiff knee

Level Contributor
38 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking with stiff knee

Has anyone had this experience.

I want to plan a kayak trip while in AK next June, 2013. Probably in Valdez or in Seward. However, my husband had knee surgery a couple of years ago and never regained full "bend" of his knee. He can bend it to about a 40 - 45 degree angle...his other knee works fine. We have kyaked on lakes, not sea. The sea kayaks appears bigger...and like they have a larger opening than some we have used on lakes.

My husband is concerned he will not be able to get in one. I'd hate to pay for a trip like this and then him not be able to even get in the kayak.

Appreicate feedback.

Kayak Adventures Worldwide
Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours
Ketchikan Kayak Co
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Liquid Alaska Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Kayaking & Canoeing
Level Contributor
546 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

Hi Printmaker, I think he would be fine. However, to be sure I would check with Adventure 60 North. Rick would be able to give you the definitive answer. If you are going too do Glacier Kayaking try for NW Fjord. It is AWESOME!! Plus, no crowds. The Harbor and Spotted seals number in the hundreds and they will often follow you as you kayak. Good luck! BoatAk

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

If it were me I probably could get in the kayak, but not get out due to Parkinson's problems.

Level Contributor
38 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

Thank you. I will be in touch with Rick. I did check out their site and it appears the NW Fjord you are talking about is a multiple day trip. We will only be doing a day trip...not enough time to see all that AK has to offer. Our trip is still many months out and I am already getting excited.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

I too have bad knees so I can appreciate your worry. What I learned was that I can't get in or out of the kayak from a dock. With limited range of motion, it was impossible to keep my balance, hold onto the dock AND lower myself into the kayak. The answer was to put the kayak into the water very close to shore ... when I stepped into it, the bottom of the kayak touched the sand which kept it still as I sat down. When I was seated, they pulled the kayak into the water. We set off from a sandy beach so it was an easy accomodation. Don't know what you could do with a rocky coast or a deep drop off.

I would assume any vendor would be willing to assist. Just let them know ahead of time. It's not an uncommon problem for them to deal with. carol

Edited: 26 October 2012, 00:23
pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

Ask if u will b using a large touring kayak. I am a larger gal ( i also have ankle issues and mobility issues)and find the cockpit in those are larger giving me room to move and get in and out. Also I usually sit in the front. My husband gets out first and helps me. Your guide too can help while someone else keeps the kayak steady on the beach. Lastly what I did was once I found out what kind of kayak I'd be using, I found a local place that sold them and " tried one on". Lol. Also u will be getting in and out on the beach, so you don't have to worry about docks or getting in via boat. Good luck and I hope this was helpful. I would hate for this to discourage you from an experience of a life time.

6. Re: Kayaking with stiff knee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:15