We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

My husband and I are planning a trip to visit Anchorage and Fairbank. In Fairbank, going by TripAdvisor, we want to live at Grand View B&B in Fairbank. However, when we made the phone enquiry, we were told by the person who recieved the call that the B&B has changed hand. It is not with new owner & is called The Upper Room Bed & Breakfast. We asked the detail address, which was told on phone (not showing in internet). We still booked the room, however, we were warn by friends that it was not safe going to a B&B that we know too little. We googled it in internet but there was very limited information. Unlike the other B&Bs, it is not advertised in most of the accommodation website that we can search for. There are no others comments about it in Tripadvisor or any other website. When asked, the owner told us he just bought the business, and was the website and other stuff are not ready yet. However, he has already took customers and was happy to book us in for our days in March 2013.

As for the address, we were told that it is at 915 Ridge Point Drive, Fairbanks, AK 99702. This is the same address as “Grand View Bed & Breakfast”, where the new owner took over from.

Since we are foreinger to the US, we want to make sure we will travel in safe. May I ask is there any authority in Alaska that manages all the B&B or accommodation operators? Do they need to register or obtain a license? Is there any way we can check so that we are will have comfort that this is not a fraudulent operation?

Oh well, you may ask why bother so much as you can book another B&B or hotel. The fact is this B&B is located in a very good location which we can view the Northern Light from the big window. Other places like this is already booked out. So if it is safe, it is an ideal place to stay.

The only information of the B&B is from the link below:

cbgusa.com/ak/…

The Upper Room Bed & Breakfast

Address: PO Box 35458

Fairbanks, AK 99703

Telephone: 1-907-479-3388

Could anyone please help us? Thank you very much!!!

Winnie

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

I am not sure though think that most B&B's are safe - never heard of any particular crimes associated with B&B's in Alaska. Not all belong to B&B associations, but should have legal business permits that you can check as far as it being a legitimate business.

Any particular reason you want a B&B? How long do you plan to be in Fairbanks? Not sure of your budget, but I can vouch for this property, if it fits your budget and schedule:

http://www.vrbo.com/330449 This owner used to run a very successful B&B in the Healy area. And if you are planning time in Healy/Denali Park, I can assist you with B&B, cabins and hotels. Happy planning! :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

Make sure you make all payments by credit card.

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, we do have a particular purpose for our Fairbanks trip. We want to see the Northern lights. The ideal place will be a room with a view which is unblocked & not affected by city lights. This place that we booked is fulfilling all we need. If we can confirm it is save, it will be the ideal holiday home. The problem we have if the way it presents (not the fact that it is not promoting itself in any websites) make us feel uneasy. Also it seems we cannot find any comments about it as well.

Could anyone in Fairbank can help us?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,398 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

I would only worry if the proprietors name was Norman Bates.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

with what you've said as far as the ownership changing hands, I think it sounds like a safe bet. His answer about the "new" business not having high visability yet on the web makes sense as well.

I'd go for it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

If your main purpose is northern lights, just about anywhere away from the cities would work for you - but it really is luck of the draw. Good luck! :)

Level Contributor
70 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

If it helps all legitimate bed and breakfasts in the USA are required to have permits issued by the local authority which should be fine. Also you have a bit of time before your trip in march - id keep an eye on trip adviser and see if any reviews pop up - that way you will have time to cancel and book somewhere else if you need to.

Level Contributor
70 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

Plus I would also point out that a bed and breakfast being listed on web sites is no guarantee of quality (as a bed and breakfast owner myself) we pay for our listings on the vast majority of sites, there is no person who comes out and inspects us before we are accepted and as most work on commission they will take any property they think will make money and only chuck them off for non payment of bills - we have had this problem with 2 local hotels (so hotel is no guarantee of quality either) and it took credit card fraud for booking.com to remove them

Paxson, Alaska
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

No one should ever, ever risk staying at a place that has been open 16 years or less (we've been open 17) or has 82 or fewer TripAdvisor reviews (guess how many we have).

Also, don't ever open your house door to anyone, even if the voice on the other side claims to be your spouse.

Michigan
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I know if a Bed & Breakfast is safe?

<<Also, don't ever open your house door to anyone, even if the voice on the other side claims to be your spouse>>

What if it's Sheldon?

Knock knock

Penny!

Knock knock

Penny!

Knock knock

Penny!

Knock knock

Penny!