We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

I am planning to fly to Alaska with my wife and twin daughters (2 years 4 months in June 2013) along with my mother to help us during our vacation.

Planning to fly from LAX to Anchorage on June 29th and stay that night at Anchorage.

On June 30th (Sunday) :Take train to seward at 6:45 AM and reach Seward at 11:05 AM.

Take the 3 hour cruise at 2 PM.

alaskadenalitours.com/kenai_fjords_national_…

Overnight in Seward.

July 1st (Monday): Spend time in Kenai Fjords National Park. Head back to Anchorage by the 6 :00 PM train and reach Anchorage

July 2nd (Tuesday): Get up in the morning and take train to Denali park and reach at 12:15 PM.

alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/schedule.ht… Stay night at Denali.

alaskadenalitours.com/alaska_travel/railroad…

July 3rd (Wednesday): Spend time in Denali . Stay night at Denali.

July 4th (Thursday): Visit Fairbanks which is 2.5 hr drive. Drive back to Denali . Stay night at Denali.

July 5th (Friday) : Head back to Anchorage from Denali and spend night in Anchorage.

Fri:

anchoragedenaliexpress.com/rates-schedules.h…

Take the bus from Denali to Anchorage.

July 6th (saturday) : Head back to LAX by flight.

Basically spend 7 nights in Alaska.

Does this sound like a doable plan with two girls (28 months) and 3 adults including me?

Thanks in advance.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

To be honest, I can't imagine traveling with 2 years olds to Alaska . . . most activities are just not intended for toddlers. As well, if I were traveling with toddlers, I would definitely rent a car for the flexibility. Those are my thoughts today! Not trying to be a party pooper, but you would be very limited in what you can see and do - would be easier to leave kids home with mom. Now if mom is fine staying back at lodgings while you do the tours, that would work but the kids won't have a memory of Alaska - maybe bring them back when they are 6 - then they could participate in so much more. I think I would head to Hawaii and let everyone play on the beach. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Welcome to the forum.

Only you know how well your 2 year olds travel, but my first impression is that you are doing a bit too much.

Also, I am not sure if you have really done enough research. Things like this lead me to believe that maybe you need to do yet more research. Also, you are always better off doing research at the source. So for the Alaska Railroad, don't rely on third party websites, look directly at the Alaska Railroad website, etc.

>>July 1st (Monday): Spend time in Kenai Fjords National Park.

Do you realize that the only area of Kenai Fjords NP that is accessible on land is Exit Glacier? Certainly it won't take that much time to "spend time in."

>>July 2nd (Tuesday): Get up in the morning and take train to Denali park and reach at 12:15 PM.

I am not sure where you got your train times from, but the train departs Anchorage about 8am and takes something like 8 hours, so it arrives in the afternoon about 3-4pm.

>>July 3rd (Wednesday): Spend time in Denali . Stay night at Denali.

What do you plan to do when you "spend time in Denali"? I would think your kids are quite young to be on a shuttle bus for hours at a time. The doggie demo, visitor center, maybe the bus the first 15 miles, perhaps the 2 mile Savage River Loop hike?

>>July 4th (Thursday): Visit Fairbanks which is 2.5 hr drive. Drive back to Denali . Stay night at Denali.

Did you research car rentals? There is only one company that rents cars near Denali that I am aware of. What are your plans for Anchorage? 5 hours in the car with two 2 year olds, then maybe 5 hours doing something in Fairbanks, maybe an hour each for lunch and dinner and you have a full 12 hour day. I am not sure that would be worth it to me. If it were me, I might spend an extra night at Denali NP, have one person stay with the two kids while the other 2 adults take a shuttle bus into the park. The second day have a different person stay with the two kids and two take a shuttle bus into the park the second day. Just a thought.

ETA: coalminer and I were typing at the same time. I too think a car rental would greatly enhance the trip if you go through with it - especially for the Anchorage to Denali portion. There is enough to see/do along the way, you can stop at parks, etc. if the kids want to play, you can carry more items like a cooler for some snacks, picnic lunches, etc.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 01:10
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

My youngest grandchild is 28 months.......the last two times we saw her she was a busy, busy, child.......we needed to allow a lot of free time, for naps and quiet play each day.....I can't imagine an agenda set in stone that allows for the comfort of the children and the sanity of the adults, even with an extra caregiver in tow.......

Wait until they are older, or have Grandma and Grandpa babysit........

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,636 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Blunt here...

This is the 1st AK trip I've seen on TA that looks completely rediculous. Our economy will say thank you for the contribution, but you ar not spending anywhere near enough time at any location to get a feel for AK.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Thank you all for the candid answers. From what it seems it is better to postpone the trip till the kids grow up a little.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Thanks for not being offended by our bluntness. :)

Not sure where you live in CA, but CA has some fabulous national parks. I would start trying your kids on shorter trips and see how they do. Most Alaskan kids are good travelers simply because they are used to being in the car for extended periods of time as well as flying Outside to visit family on fairly frequent basis. So while I would postpone this trip, do travel with your kids! It can be a challenge (big learning experience) it is a good thing. Get some good kid backpacks - like Keltys Ridgeway carrier - and haul them around - Redwoods, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Point Reyes . . . just a few that first come to mind and then keep expanding - then they would be ready for an Alaskan vacation! :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Agree with coalminer. We did lots of roadtrips with our kids, but I wouldn't choose Alaska as the first, second or third, until you see how it goes. You certainly wouldn't want to spend the money to get to Alaska, only to pass up seeing things due to children issues. For instance, we still have 25 year old Disneyworld tickets because the kids wanted to spend the days at the hotel pool, instead of in the park, and have never wanted to go back

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Good advice from parents, here......kids were made for camping.....I have such good memories of a two year old, naked and covering herself with mud, happy as a clam.......all that fresh air also leads to healthy appetites and sound sleeping........California has wonderful state parks, start with the one close to your home for a weekend trip......let your kids experience the joy of rock collecting, bug touching, bird watching and keep them away from electronic entertainment.......(stepping off my soap box now).......

Orange, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Yeah...I understand....we did Big island for 5 nights when the twins were 10 month old and a 7 night Disney cruise to Mexico when the kids were 22 month old. We also did a month long India trip when the kids were 15 month old. We had hired help in India ...so it was not a big problem. Other than the cruise we had our mother with us on all our other trips.

Proabably will do another trip to Hawaii....Kuai this time.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska - 7 nights with twin girls - 28 month old.

Kauai is a wonderful island for kids - lovely sandy beaches - and summer is a great time for the northshore, where you will find lots of shaded beaches - so you can spend the whole day if you want! It is my favorite Hawaiian island. :)