We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennicott Mill Closure

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Kennicott Mill Closure

I know someone was asking about this recently and I have confirmed with the NPS that the Mill site, guest house and school will be closed through next summer.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennicott Mill Closure

Great! That is a great waste of many millions of taxpayer money going down a glacial stream. I like the national park and it is a great place to have and to visit, but keeping up and restoring those mill buildings is soaking up unbelievable dollars better spent on other parts of our National Park System.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennicott Mill Closure

Does this apply to other historical sites too? Maybe we should delete history. I would have mixed feelings on restroring Kennicott, now closed for 75 years.

McCarthy, Alaska
Level Contributor
179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennicott Mill Closure

@Since_71 - Totally agree.

FYI, features of the tours last summer, and this coming summer of 2013, are the Powerplant and Leaching Plant (lowest part of the mill complex). Also refrigeration plant and bunkhouse. The Powerhouse and Leaching are big, impressive buildings, so while it is too bad that we can't access the mill, these buildings are still well worth checking out in my opinion...

If anyone has any questions about Kennecott, I would be happy to help. Unfortunately, the NPS is not always the best source of info (sometimes they are, sometimes you get someone clueless who knows nothing). At one point last summer they were telling visitors that "Kennicott is closed" and turning them away from coming to the area all together just because they couldn't walk into the mill building... Horrible for local businesses and sad for the visitors! So just make sure you get a second opinion ;)

Cheers,

Gaia Marrs

St. Elias Alpine Guides

McCarthy, Alaska

Mentioned in this post
St. Elias Alpine Guides
St. Elias Alpine Guides
589 Reviews
McCarthy, AK
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennicott Mill Closure

It is good to see a variety of comment. I hate to see the nation lock itself into perpetual maintenance of thousands of buildings and sites around the nation indiscriminately. I feel we should be very, very (note the double very!) about what we preserve, lest we end up like Europe keeping a nation full of history with the heavy burden on the future. Not every scrap is worth saving.

How do we wish to spend our national resources, and what can we afford? How many times can we spend 1.5 million dollars to replace the trestle over National Creek when it washes out every 50 years? Or should we replace it with a modern bridge that will not was out from periodic floods? How many people are being served by this trestle, and what purpose?

I am not against history. I do believe we should not lock ourselves into serving only history at the cost of our future.

5. Re: Kennicott Mill Closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 06:17