We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

Charlotte, NC
12 posts
Save Topic
Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

Can anyone tell me the best time of day to do the Grand Denali flightseeing tour with glacier landing out of Talkeetna? I thought I had read early morning was best, but wanted to confirm this.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

You can't predict weather. If flightseeing is important then it is best to allow a few days in the area so you can reschedule if necessary. Some will plan a stop at Talkeetna on their way up to Denali. If their tour is cancelled due to weather, then they will try again on their way back down.

If you want a better answer than this, I suggest you call the vendor you are going with. They live/work there and can give you the most accurate information. Good luck!! I hope you have a beautiful day!!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

I agree with happytraveler. I don't think there is a "best" time. When I am interested in flightseeing, I try to leave enough leeway in my schedule to be able to reschedule it if it gets canceled.

Last May I had a 9am reservation for flightseeing that was pushed back to 1pm I believe (definitely later than 11am). If it didn't work out that day, we planned enough time on the return from Denali to Anchorage to be able to reschedule it.

Having flexibility and multiple chances are the keys.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

My experience is similar to FTI's in that we were scheduled for early in the morning, and they got delayed until later, but we did get to fly . . . and it was great (including the glacier landing).

If you schedule later in the day and there is bad weather (clouds, etc) then you risk being pushed into the next day which may or may not work into your other scheduled plans.

For this reason, I always feel that earlier in the day (morning) is best.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

Same for us we were scheduled for 11 A.M. but because of weather on the mountain flew out at 2 P.M. worth the wait though!

5. Re: Best time of day for Talkeetna Flightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:17