We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Larger RV restrictions?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Larger RV restrictions?

We are considering hiring a 31ft RV with slideout - are there any restrictions in terms of access to places we should know about before we book this size? I'm thinking specifically about turning circles at national parks, in town and at sites. We've driven 25 and 29 ft RVs before but like the interior layout of the 31.

Our tentative plans include Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks/Valdez/Seward/Homer and all points in between.

Will any of these areas pose a problem?

Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Misty Fjords National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Geologic Formations, National Parks
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
Historic Sites, Visitor Centres, National Parks, State Parks
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

I haven't encountered anywhere where you'd have a problem in those areas.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

All 3 of Denali's campgrounds for RVs take up to 40ft so you should be OK there:

nps.gov/dena/…campground-reservations.htm

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

Thanks very much both of you.

I've tried to find a way to ask GAH (who we hope to hire from) by email but I can't find an email address for them - they ask for contact by phone or fax. We have no access to fax and I'm trying to save money for the trip so don't fancy ringing from the UK.

I knew this forum would be the place to find out!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

I have no idea if this works; but I found it "googling":

reservations@greatalaskanholidays.com

I know it might not be easy/convenient; but I use Skype a lot for international phone calling from your computer to a land line. You can buy a few dollars worth at a time and the international rates are really good.

Good luck,

Scott

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

Thanks Scott - now I'm feeling very dense as Skype never occurred to me....we even have an account which we use regularly.

My only excuse is that's its very late & I should be in bed ;)) but I'm really enjoying researching bits for our trip and can't seem to stop.

Is this Alaska fever? And is there a cure? We're not coming until late Aug!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

Most people don't want to leave AK once they get here.

We're finally getting a proper winter day. About 10 to 15 cm of fine, white, powdery snow has fallen today. -1C. Just about perfect.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

I really envy your perfect day - here in the NW of England we hardly ever get snow, just rain & wind. While much of the UK has had all the problems unaccustomed snow brings, we managed a measly 0.5cm dusting!!

I finally bit the bullet and rang GAH as I had a few questions, but all was fine so the RV is booked. Hooray!

FYI: they emailed me with my reservation details, and their email address is rescon78@greatalaskanholidays.com

Thanks very much for all the help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

It's great having this email information on a post (it now becomes "searchable"). Do you mind checking your reservation details and see if they mention anything like, "do not reply using this email address" or does it look as if this simply is a good email to use (in your opinion)?

tks,

Scott

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

I think it's good to use as I replied to it and they responded to my reply - if you see what I mean! It seems to go straight to the reservation team, hence the "res" bit on the beginning, so hopefully they will answer general queries on it.

Not sure why its not on their website - it's much easier to communicate by email, as our line was not at all clear and I had to clarify misheard contact details by email. All's well anyway, and our holiday plans are moving along nicely.

10. Re: Larger RV restrictions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 17:35