We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halibut Fishing

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Halibut Fishing

My wife, 2 year old son and I are going to Alaska mid-June for 10 days and had a couple questions since we are planning our trip way in advance. Our first question is that are there any good 6 hour Halibut fishing trip a person could take in either Ninilchik ,Homer or Seward anyone would recommend or is the full day trip the best option?Thanks!!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halibut Fishing

The only thing that short would be a half day halibut charter. They are a lot cheaper than full day charters, but you also don't get far enough out or have enough time to get much of anything other than flappers and chickens (small fish- maybe 10-15 lbs tops- you get about half of that weight when cleaned).

If you are just going to have fun and say you've done it, then a half day might not be a bad idea. But if you are looking for a longer, better fishing experience, I'd say look for a 6 person (6 pack) full day charter.

And make sure you take sea sickness meds. The number of people I've seen trying to gut it out or who think they will be immune and then are miserable all day is way too high. Heck, the last time I went out, we all took meds and half of still got sick, but it was a rough day. I also suggest taking ginger ale, Wheat Thins and pretzels. That was 6 people's 'lunch' for that day and they were all glad to have it. Heh!

Quick question, are you going fishing on your own? I'm not sure small kids are allowed on the boats and I certainly wouldn't recommend it (due to safety concerns, sea sickness meds never being wise for a kid that small, etc). I just took my 8 year old nephew out last Summer and he was about 2 years too young, still. He took meds, still got sick and simply couldn't understand why we couldn't just go back to shore. He eventually managed to sleep nearly the whole time, but I wouldn't want another kid to have to suffer that (or everyone else listening to the understandable amount of whining).

Here's a link to an outfit that does half day charters out of Homer. There are others, but I've only seen half day halibut out of Homer (possibly Ninilchik). Seward's half day charters tend to be salmon.

alaskacoastalmarine.com/half_day_fishing_tri…

And here's our fishing thread for more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k41742…

Edited: 20 February 2013, 07:22
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halibut Fishing

Thanks, it sounds like the best thing to do is do a full day on a smaller boat, and no my son wont be with.Thanks Again!!

3. Re: Halibut Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 05:17