We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas please

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ideas please

hello

I will b arriving in Fairbanks on Sept 6 and spending 3 nights in a hotel before boarding a Royal caribbean cruise ship in Seward. I am trying to find good hotel in fairbanks and then continue to Denali the fowolling two days. I have no clue where to stay, how to get to denali from Fairbanks. I have heard there is a train that takes you from Fairbanks to Denali and then to Seaward. Any sUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECiaTED. Also what is there to do in Denali? Thank you.

Lenny

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,074 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas please

Hello there and welcome to the forum! Well, there are several good hotels in Fairbanks, as well as B&B's. My favorites are the Springhill Suites by Marriot, Pike's Landing, the Princess hotel, and Westmark are all good places. I would also highly recommend a visit to the museum at the University - they just recently expanded with an entire new gallery, which would be well worth your time.

Yes, the train goes from Fairbanks to Denali Park daily during the summer season - and that train continues south to Anchorage. From Anchorage, you can take a train to Seward, but this is a different route and I am quite sure you would have to overnight in Anchorage. www.alaskarailroad.com

As far as Denali goes, it's one of the largest National Parks in the US system - and it is the highlight for many travelers. Not only a chance to see the largest mountain in North America, but to observe lots of wildlife, including bear, moose, caribou, etc. My recommendation would be to come here, stay over night, and then take the shuttle bus in to Toklat or further (Fish Creek or Wonder Lake), depending on how far it's going - all depends on snow levels. Early Sept. is fall and the colors should be amazing. Check out the park at www.nps.gov/dena. You could also take a raft trip near the Denali entrance if you had the time, though the season is beginning to slow way down then.

You might need to add a few days to your trip in order to see and do what you would like - just the bus ride in the Park takes most of one day. You should also plan on spending a day in Seward if you can, as it has many wonderful things to see - you can hike to Exit glacier, take a boat tour for a close up of the glaciers and many marine animals, as well as the Sealife center.

Hope this helps get you started! Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Pike's Landing
Pike's Landing
879 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center
Westmark Fairbanks Hotel...
857 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
Denali Park Hotel
Denali Park Hotel
396 Reviews
Healy, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas please

Here's a nice link for your transportation issues. fairbanks-alaska.com/transportation-fairbank…

What to do in Denali? What do you like to do? What type of budget will you have? Hiking, back packing, riding the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake is very popular, kayaking, flight seeing?

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
3. Re: ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 15:17