We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary and activities

New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with itinerary and activities

I'm planning a 14 day vacation to Alaska next year April 27, 2007 thru May 11, 2007. The problem is I'm finding out a lot of activities aren't opened any help would be greatly appreciated.

Itinerary Flying into Anchorage spending 2 Nights, Homer 2 Nights,

Seward 2 Nights, Girdwood 2 Nights, Talkeetna 1 Night, Fairbanks 2 Nights, Glennallen 1 Night and 2 nights to add somewhere?

Thanks for your help :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

Yep, you are going to find most tourist activities still closed at that time. Can you push it back a couple of weeks?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

Hello,

No unfortunately we can't, but since we like to site see, hike, and drive I figured we can still do that and I did find one boat tour 26 glaciers that will be opened when we stay in Girdwood so that will be good. I'm really trying to find a dog sled tour that we can do and so far most are in the process of moving from there winter location to their summer location. I don't want to come all the way to Alaska and not get to at least do something with the huskies :) I'm not talking an all day event just a hour would be nice... Anything you can recommend in the Fairbanks area?

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

If you have no idea what activities you are interested in at that time of year, how did you determine how many nights to spend at each place?

The season will vary from year to year, so the trails cleared from snow and ready for hiking will also vary. Come prepared for flexibility and consider the possibility of renting some of these small designer-type snowshoes that are so popular today if there is still snow on the trails or up in the mountains. They are small, offer adequate support on compacted or dense snow, so they should be right for that time of year in several places.

One guaranteed place to enjoy that time of year will be Chena Hot Springs outside of Fairbanks. That is also an excellent place to go out and enjoy the trails, and perhaps try snow machining or craoss country skiing as a chance to get out and enjoy as well.

Find several dog mushers or dog musher associations in Fiarbanks or any mountain region and write to them - for sure you will have a hearty welcome and all the dog time you care to have! They will be able to give you the best advice on who is offering which services that year and that time of year.

I am a bit mystified about your distribution of days. Can you expand upon your interests and what you DREAM of doing at each, or at any in general? That would be a great help and inspire quite a few recommendations, I bet!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

Hello,

I determined the nights by the distances to each place we are going since Alaska is soooo big I didn't want to be driving every single day 4 or more hours per day! Plus, I looked at some itinerary's that previous people did and there biggest mistake was not spending enough time in each location so I tried to spend two nights at most locations. Then from there I figured I would see what is opened at that time and book it. If nothing is opened at least we can take in the beauty of Alaska I don't think we will be disappointed and we love nature. I do understand that horseback riding will be opened in most places which we always try to do and of course hiking so thanks for the information on the snowshoes I will look into that :) Chena Hot Springs is on my list of things to do. Along with museums, possibly a sleigh ride in Anchorage, Sea Life Center, Siteseeing tours, possibly a flightseeing tour.

Florida, Daytona
Level Contributor
43 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

hey, you are going at a good time. we just came back from Alaska (May 16 - May 20) and had a ball. the best thing we could have done was rent a car and go driving around. You will definately find a problem with things that are open (ie like the raft wont be open cause the rivers are full of ice) but we were never board. so much to see. What is good about that time is usually the buses run through Denali in the summer but because its early, you can take your car along the route of the bus for free and the amount of animals you see is great. no bears but alot of everything else. We went twice and it snowed the second time (were from Florida) Not sure when the dog carting(not sledding) opens but there was one in Palmer(45min North of Anchorage) and One in Talkeetna. I'm sure there are others also. Also If your around Palmer, take the 45 Min. drive to Matanuska Glacier and walk on it. Definatly fun. Well if you need any advice just ask. Definatly tough to find stuff open but will be fun none the less. Also we did horseback riding in Palmer.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

Hello,

Thanks for your comments :) I have actually been getting a little lucky and some activities that we want to do like horseback riding, hiking the Matanuska Glacier, museums, etc. will be opened so things are starting to fall into place. I did just buy the milepost book that everyone recommend and well worth the price that book is very informative and since our whole trip will be driving it's a must... I was excited to hear that you were able to drive into Denali that's what we wanted to do, I'm not much of a bus trip person we like to explore on our own. Glad to hear that you had a great trip. Any other information you can think of would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure just the beauty of Alaska will keep us busy :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

I recomend Jamik Tours at Muzzy's Place Kennels.

http://www.muzzysplace.net/ for Fairbanks dog mushing. Mush your own or just go for a ride. If you want to drive your own team you must come to a mushing class beforehand. If there is not enough snow here at the time they can take you just north of town in the White Mountains.

8. Re: Help with itinerary and activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 04:16