We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Topic
Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Hello,

My friend and I are driving up to Alaska and will arrive around the 24th of May and leave around the 24th of June. We are both in our younger twenties, in shape, and hoping to find the most adventure we can. We plan to come into the state through Canada and make the full round from the border to Fairbanks, to Denali, to Anchorage, all over the Kenai Peninsula, then back up through anchorage and back east to the border before heading home.

We want to keep costs to a minimum without sacrificing a good time. We would like to backpack and plan on sleeping backpacking style the entire trip. We are just looking for advice on what people recommend we do or see anywhere along or off of the route I mentioned. We love nature, wildlife, and adventure and beautiful scenery and would prefer a hike to get to see it.

What are the must see places?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Welcome to TA-AK.

Sounds fantastic. Nothing like having the time to visit what we have up here.

You'll get lots of great, varied suggestions here. I'll start of with some basics:

- read the "Top Questions" section (top right of this page). It should help youu a lot and also give you more questions to ask

- get a Milepost (see: themilepost.com), it really is indespensible

- here's my favorite hiking site: alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm (seems really accurate for difficulty)

Once you're a few hours north of Vancouver you can keep costs way down by just pulling of the road/hwy and sleep wherever you think is safe/comfortable. Many places like some gas stations, laundries have showers.

Good luck,

Scott

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Welcome! What a great trip.

For backpacking info & backpacking unit info for Denali National Park, go to the Top Questions at the top of the Denali forum. There are a couple of backpacking questions there.

One can always backpack in a short way to pitch tents at trailheads. Some have a $5 parking fee, some free. Lots of cheap USFS campgrounds all over Alaska. Here's camping info AK & Canada:

http://www.milepost.com/features/camping

Definitely get a copy of the Milepost as Scott recommended.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

I assume you mean by backpack is a 35-pound pack on your back into the wilderness for extended stays. We did this when we were in our 40s, but only in California. Down here in Homer we have across the bay Kachemak Bay State Park with several trails, including to the Grewingk Glacier. Hope to do this one sometime before I get too old (no pack of course).

Never done it, but off the Sterling Hwy west of Cooper Landing, there is the Resurrection PassTrail, I think heads over the mountains to Turnagain Arm. It is a 39-mile trip. We have an interesting guide: 50 Hikes In Alaska's Kenai Peninsula by Taz Tally

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

There are some great backpacking trails in Yukon Territory, too on your way to Alaska.......

yukonwild.com/HikingAndBackpacking.aspx

Yukon has some wonderful campgrounds, as well, often with no others campers around........

PS You are cordially invited to detour south to Haines, Alaska from Haines Junction, YT.....lots of hiking opportunities, here as well...... http://www.haines.ak.us/

Be sure to bring passports.....they will be required to get back into the US from Canada.....

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

k2iks mentions the Ressurection Trail.......that would be a wonderful several day hiking trip, and you will already have all your gear so you will be prepared to stay in one of the remote forest service cabins along the trail...... …alaska.gov/parks/…resurnrth.htm

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

The Resurrection trail is a wonderful 3-4 day hike across.

We've done it many times, but reserve the cabins exactly 6 months ahead when the window opens to get them.

You can also do the traverse with tents.. . The only issue is getting a ride back to your vehicle at the other trail head.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Definitely get a Milepost.

You might consider buying the annual parking pass for the state parks. That way you don't have to pay for parking at each one.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/passes.htm

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Agreed with the Milepost. Also, have a good cooler and stock up on food in the larger towns - that will save you a bunch of $$. Have fun - sounds like a great adventure! :)

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

This book : ''55 ways to the wilderness in Southcentral Alaska'' is also a good source of info for hikes. 5th edition ... says it all.

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Two fit, adventurous males spending 30 days in Alaska,,,

Okay I will definitely purchase a milepost. Thank you