We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to plan a trip for my aunty and I to Alaska. We are arriving into Vancouver on the 7th of July, and plan to go to Alaska for 2 weeks, before coming back to Canada for 2 weeks.

I have been looking at either flying to Anchorage and hiring a car for 2 weeks, in which case we would go to Denali National Park, Sewage, Homer etc.. or using the Alaskan Marine Highway to visit coastal towns from Bellingham to Juneau and hiring a car in the port towns to visit other areas as well.

Any recommendations on what people would consider to be a better trip??

Thankyou!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Have you sat down with the ferry schedule and worked out an itinerary? What would it cost, where would you stay? Which towns do you want to visit and what are the sights and activities you would enjoy at each port?

Do you have an itinerary for your road trip? What would it cost for a car and lodging? What would you see and do at each town and how much time would you spend at each?

The biggest difference in those 2 options is... ferry option will limit your view of Alaska to SE Alaska and coastal scenery, whereas the road trip would expose you to the coast AND the interior. It will probably be more difficult to plan the ferry due to the schedule ... sometimes the arrival and departure times are a little awkward.

No one can make this decsion for you. You need to carefully weigh both options and decide which itinerary best supports YOUR interests. Have you looked at the 2012 trip reports? There are 2 trips near the end that include ferry travel in the SE ... from pamjohertfordshire and BiaDK.

To add to your dilema, there are also a dozen trip reports that include a week of land travel to Denali & Seward, followed by a one-week cruise to Vancouver. So a 3rd option to ponder .....

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Take a look at "Top Questions" (top right of this page) and also read through some trip reports.

Take a look at this Google Map link to see where you can go on our limited number of highways (it's really easy to drive here and not get lost). The distances on the link are accurate; but the times/durations are not accurate (it will take more time than stated).

see: http://goo.gl/maps/CW1KO

There are too many amazing/fun things to do up here. Here (link below) is just a sample of great AK things to do in one small area (very close to Ancxhorage):

- Girdwood/Portage (about 1 hour south of ANC)

see: http://goo.gl/lSnN2

If you are planning for 2013 then rent a car now and check frequently tio see if the rate goes down.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Have a look at this list: tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i36439-Alask… to find resources on itinerary planning.

A cruise can be the most cost effective and time efficient way to explore SE Alaska so you could consider a one way cruise from Vancouver followed by a road trip then fly back to Vancouver. The AMH itineraries are not the easiest to work with for a short trip with multiple destinations.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

tez... what a great trip list! I would like to link it to the Top Questions for RESOURCES.

Could you edit the hyperlink for:

http://www.alaska.org/

The one on there doesn't work.

Great job!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

"The AMH itineraries are not the easiest to work with for a short trip with multiple destinations"

Sorry tez823 but I have to disagree. We used the Marine Highway last year to do just that. Although our overall holiday was longer, we took 2 weeks to travel the Inside Passage from Prince Rupert to Skagway and found everything worked well. We visited 4 different places and managed to work out a route that suited our timetable just fine. And all from the UK via email.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

2 weeks with 4 stops would certainly be doable Pamjo but try one week with even 3 stops - that's what makes a 7 day cruise that offers a minimum of 4 ports of call in a week so much more affordable and convenient.

DC - will do the edits now :)

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Thanks everyone for your input..

Some great links and info to help me start planning the trip.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Emi, here are links to Pamjo's trip reports on her AMHS tour:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60772…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60774…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60806…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60828…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60902…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k60906…

And here's tez's:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k56804…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k56804…

That gives you two horses of different colors and yet both trips looked like knock outs to me - as well as having great trip reports and the folks who wrote them still on the forums already trying to help you out.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

:) AlaskanTiger.......... What a gorgeous part of the world you live in!

Edited: 16 April 2013, 13:02
Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Alaska... And need help deciding what to do???

Thankyou alaskantiger!