We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Alaskan Hikes?

Anchorage, Alaska...
2 posts
Save Topic
Great Alaskan Hikes?

Hi,

I live in the Anchorage region, but am looking for some great hikes to do this summer?

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

There's a Top Question on the right-hand side of the Anchorage forum that talks about a bunch of good hikes in the area and includes pictures of some of them. Read through those to see what's suggested and let us know if you have specific questions about any of them.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

There's lots of hiking in the Valley.

matsugov.us/CommunityDevelopment/parks/trail…

https:/…

dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/index.htm#matsu

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

here's a good hiking source:

http://alaskahikesearch.com/

What makes a great hike for you? difficulty, scenic, backpacking, solitude, etc.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

I really like the South Fork Valley for hikes. The hike to Eagle and/or Symphony Lakes is a great way to spend the day. Arctic Valley also has lots of opportunities. I found many of my hikes in the book "55 Ways to the Wilderness in Southcentral Alaska".

Cantwell, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

My favorite hike in the entire world is on the Kenai Peninsula near Seward. Start at southern tip of Kenai Lake and hike up the Primrose Trail. Come down the Lost Lake Trail to Lost Lake Subdivision near Seward. Of course, this requires shuttling of vehicle or a drop off or hitchiking back to car. Or just go up and back on same trail. I like doing the traverse and it is about 15 miles from trailhead to trailhead. About 4 miles up on the Primrose side you will hear a waterfall, take the side trail over to it. It is a big one. Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

For overnight hikes, our #1 favorite is reserving USFS cabins (3 or 4 cabins) & hiking the Resurrection trail from Hope to Cooper Landing cabin to cabin. It became an every summer tradition.

We also love reserving USFS Dale Clemens cabin on the Lost Lake trail mentioned above with views down to Resurrection Bay in Seward.

Another favorite is to reserve the Crow Pass cabin out of Girdwood.

For day hikes my favorite is Hanging Valley out of south fork of Eagle River.

I also used "55 Ways to the Wilderness."

Here is a wonderful Anchorage hiking group.... great folks. They meet twice a week after work & then organize weekend hikes together:

dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Alaska_Outdoors/…

Have fun researching!

7. Re: Great Alaskan Hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:18