We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Boston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Seward

We are visiting Seward before our cruise starts for 14 hours and want to know the best boat ride into the Kenai Fjords National Park to take that is not real commercial... or also looking into a kayak trip in Kenai Fjords National Park. Any good suggestions?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward

There is no "best" for everyone since "best" is relative. Some would say "best" is longest, some will say "best" is whichever one offers the largest discount, some will say "best" is something else.

Have you checked the small boat tours from Saltwater Lodge? Probably the least commercial. If you do a kayak trip to Aialik Glacier, that doubles as a Kenai Fjords tour so you don't "need" to take a separate Kenai Fjords tour, though some people certainly have done the tour twice on one trip.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward

Probably the least commercial would be to hire a boat with a local fisherman BUT then that would be pretty pricey and they aren't always the best tour guides. While commercial sounds negative, they usually do offer the best value for a tour - and I would also choose a tour with a ranger on board - they would offer you the most reliable information. I haven't done that tour for quite a few years, otherwise I would offer specific recommendations. :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward

I love being on a smaller boat with a max of 15 passengers alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/alaska_whale_watchi…

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward

Dont know if you'd like this, as it is a commercial boat, BUT, the Kenai Fjords Glacier Tours are not overcrowded. The captains are very knowledgeable. The scenery is amazing. the tour is long enough. And at the end of the tour, they dock on Fox Island (in Resurrection Bay). and give you one hell of a buffet, with chocolate cake too

hope this helps

5. Re: Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18