We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haines

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Haines

Our cruise boats stops in Haines and we were thinking of going to the Bald Eagle preserve..but all the boat excursions look very commercial. Anyone did anything that was a little outside the box and less commercial?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haines

The time to go to the bald eagle preserve is from November to February (or so). Nothing special in that regard in the summer, though it is scenic. Who is "we", when are you going and what are your interests?

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haines

My husband and I. We love to bike, hike and kayak. We are in great shape and do just about anything physical. We want to see glaciers etc

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haines

My husband and I. We love to bike, hike and kayak. We are in great shape and do just about anything physical. We want to see glaciers etc. we are going on July

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haines

Maybe share your whole itinerary and such - that would be very helpful so we have a bigger picture of your plans. :)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haines

I would rent a car ahead of time......have it delivered to the dock near your ship......

Stop by the Visitors Center downtown and pick up a copy of "Haines is for hikers"

Moose Meadows trail at Chilkat State Park is a wonderful trek through the woods, crossing through a lovely meadow and onto the gavel beach with a nice view of Davidson Glacier across the water.......

Or if the weather is nice you might want to hike the Mt Riley Trail.....switchbacks through the woods up to the top of the mountains with an almost 360 degree view from the top.......

Another of our favorites is Battery Point, but it is much shorter, maybe only a mile each way.......

FTI is correct, the eagles will not be at the Eagle Preserve in July.......they will be near the port or out at Chilkoot Lake, looking for salmon......

Edited: 18 April 2013, 20:58
6. Re: Haines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:18