We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Pittsburgh...
6 posts
Save Topic
Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Airfare is finally booked now to get the rest of the trip planned!!! We are flying into Anchorage on a Saturday afternoon and then flying out the following Saturday really late that night (Aug 24-31). We had originally thought we would stay in Anchorage on the weekends but after looking at the other areas we are beginning to think we would be better off visiting two of the smaller towns. Right now we are looking at Homer and Seward but are very open to other options. Looking for reviews and recommendations on lodging, fishing charters, glacier tours, restaurants, night life, pretty much everything, including the days needed in each location to create an awesome Alaska vacation!!!

Seward, Homer, or another town? I am thinking Seward and Homer should offer what we are looking for but other options are always appreciated!!! How many days in each place, what are the pros and cons of each town?

Lodging - one of the things that we are really looking for are options that have a balcony or deck that over looks the water, or some other great view, not a parking lot, married couple so one bed would suffice, want to spend somewhere between $150 and $250 a night, private bathroom, close to activities but we will have a car so driving a bit is not an issue, and that is pretty much it for our requests.

Fishing - full day charters for halibut and/or salmon fishing, having the option to pay less to go out on the boat and not fish (not sure if I want to fish as much as my husband) would be a bonus but not necessary, need to have poles and gear included, great crew and captain - we want to have fun while we are out there, long range trip and 1/2 day options would also be a plus but not a deal breaker. And do you recommend sticking with the same charter for the few days or switching it up and trying different things?

Glacier tour - I actually want to be able to walk out on the glacier. I do not need anything as extreme as ice hiking or the such but I want to be able to get closer than across the street. We are both in decent shape so doing a hike would be very enjoyable I think. Which glaciers are you able to actually access (without taking a plane)? And what tour guides/groups do you recommend?

Any and all info that you can provide is very appreciated!!!

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Late August the only salmon running will probably be silvers, but there might be some very late reds. talk with a couple of guides. Homer is the Halibut capital and you can find full and half day charters there. I have been told that the seas in the fishing grounds can get heavy at times so seasickness can be an issue.

We had a great day fishing for halibut, cod and pink salmon on a full day charter out of whittier. The guide said he fishes the same grounds as the seward boats( both run 90 miles) but his route is through calmer more protected waters. We did 1 day Halibut fishing( alaska 4 star charters) and 1 day guided salmon fishing and brought home 120lbs of frozen vacume sealed fillets. Whittier is a funky little town that used to be a WW2 sub base. There is a glacier above town that you can hike to, you can fish or take a glacier wildlife tour boat ( Capt Gerry) or rent a kayak and no much else. There are like 2 places to stay in town and 2 or 3 bar/restaurants. We stayed in the old barracks that have been converted into perfectly nice condos. I think half the town lives in that one building.

You must do the full day kenai fiords tour out of seward

If you decide to salmon fish you may want to be closer to the Kenai river in Cooper landing or Soldotnafor a night but talk to some guide first

Anywhere you can fish you will find a fish processor that will package and freeze your catch and prepare it in 49.5 lb coolers to take as luggage. if you move around anywhere you go those same processors will store your catch in the freezer. You will be close enough to stay on the kenai and go straight to the airport on your last day

Edited: 25 April 2013, 14:47
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Glacier trek:

I highly recommend a hike/trek on the Matanuska Glacier. I've used Mica guides (see: http://www.micaguides.com/ ) and would recommend them. It is not anywhere near "extreme" and I like the lighting as late in the day as they will go.

For a different glacier experience (no guide needed), head into Byron Glacier (Portage Valley). It's an easy 15 to 20 minute walk from the trailhead parking lot into a beautiful mountain valley.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Lots to do in Homer, you could spend a whole week there......Make a stop at Byron Glacier as Scott suggests, and you pretty much have everything you have mentioned.......

http://www.vrbo.com/120890

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

You could also go to Exit glacier at Seward:

nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/

I would probably split my time between Homer & Seward- even fishing at both.

Pittsburgh...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

Thank you all so much for the info and your ideas!!! Back to planning this weekend!!!

6. Re: Planning a 7-day fishing/sightseeing trip for August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:17