We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

We will be in Kodiak in July, fly back to Anchorage, then on to Seward. If we bring our fish catch back from Kodiak, we may want to ship it home from Anchorage. I would assume the airport does this all the time, however I can't find much info on-line about this. Can anyone send me in the right direction?

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

If you go to page 5, second post down, I went through some explanation on bringing fish home with you when you travel and options (and an idea on pricing) to ship it home separately from you taking it on as an extra piece of baggage. Let me know if this doesn't answer something:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k41742…

And I just brought some home with me over Christmas in a fish box (and then brought some beef and other things back), so I have taken it with me through ANC recently and often.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

Have the fish processor in kodiak package and freeze the fish for travel as luggage (under 50 lbs)

when you are in anchorage you will have to find another processor that will let you store your fish in their freezer. this is not a problem they all do this all the time. get more fish while in Seward. and repeat

Bringing it as extra luggage is less expensive than shipping it overnight. we brought some soft coolers that worked well and saved some packaging costs. cooler full of 49lbs of frozen fillets will stay rock solid for 24 hours. We also had 20 or so pounds of fillets kippered and made into lox which we had shipped because the processing takes some time. If you get some salmon your first day in Kodiak there might be time to get that done before you return to anchorage. if not they will ship it whenever you tell them.

We came home with50lbs of halibut fillets 50 of red salmon and 20lbs of smoked, didn't go to the fish market for a year

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

Thanks, both of you. I am considering taking the fish home as extra luggage when we fly, but with a 12 hour fly time, including a 3 hour layover in Phoenix, 3 hours on the tarmac in the desert has me weighing my options.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

You should be good with 12 hours if properly packed. You don't know for how long or where your fish might be sitting around with the shippers and for a lot more $$$

The Anc airport does have freezer storage when you pass through on your way to Seward. …state.ak.us/anc/…passengerSrvcs.shtml

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

' but with a 12 hour fly time, including a 3 hour layover in Phoenix, 3 hours on the tarmac in the desert has me weighing my options.'

I've gone over 24 hours with only one layer of gel packs on the top and nothing even thawed at the edges. As mentioned in the link I posted, the airport is the most expensive place to store fish in town.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

we left Soldotna with our fish mid afternoon for a 6pm flight to philly. The flight was delayed 8 hrs. I think the fish was out of the freezer 26 hours by the time we got home and it was all good.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

This is all good info to have. We've fished and shipped home via overnight ($100+ each time). Next time I think we will take with us on the plane as suggested. Thanks for all of the tips and reassurances.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 16:42
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,094 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

Many airlines charge a reasonable fee for the first and second checked bags. But in some cases the third piece of checked luggage can get very expensive. For example, I believe Delta charges +-$200 for a third piece of checked luggage unless you are an elite flyer with them or you are flying first class. So it is best to check all the options in advance if possible so you don't have any surprises.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

I have also found Alaska Air's Gold Streak service to be a bit cheaper than FED EX/UPS for shipping but you need to be able to pick it up at a city they fly to.

alaskaair.com/content/cargo/goldstreak.aspx

10. Re: Has anyone shipped fish through ANC recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:18