We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to see whales!

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Want to see whales!

We're going to Alaska in late August/early September. We're thinking about a cruise/land package. Being from South Louisiana, we really want to see some whales. Where would our best chance be at that time of year? Thanks

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to see whales!

For an up close view......try a kayaking trip in Glacier Bay or the Seward area.......very exciting and the sea kayaks are very stable (don't roll over like the river kayaks)......most guides will know where the whales are feeding.......

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to see whales!

If you're not into kayaking, and you're taking a cruise through the inside passage, Juneau may be the best bet for whale watching.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to see whales!

I'm a former resident of Haines/Skagway. Whales are fickle performers. They have a terrible habit of not appearing on command. If you want to increase your odds of seeing them, the recommendation of Glacier Bay is spot on. Most likely you'll see Humpies or possibly Orca. Kayaks do make excellent vehicles for whale viewing. Nothing like having your butt at water level when you see a huge hump break the surface.

Alaska Discovery is a great outfit if you want guided trips. Can't recommend them enough. They also offer a variety of vacation packages that truly showcase the "real" Alaska. As a former guide myself they have what I consider the best tours available.

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to see whales!

I suggest looking for whales in the water just south of Juneau. Pick a cruise that arrives in Juneau later in the morning on its northbound leg. Then set up to watch for whales beginning about 4 hours before arriving. I agree that Alaska Discovery runs some of the better tours if you go out of Juneau and want to try kayaking. If you don't want to paddle, try Doug Ward's outfit Dolphin Jet Boat Tours.

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to see whales!

I suggest looking for whales in the water just south of Juneau. Pick a cruise that arrives in Juneau later in the morning on its northbound leg. Then set up to watch for whales beginning about 4 hours before arriving. I agree that Alaska Discovery runs some of the better tours if you go out of Juneau and want to try kayaking. If you don't want to paddle, try Doug Ward's outfit Dolphin Jet Boat Tours.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to see whales!

Thanks so much AKSOUTHEASTER and QUITOU for all the info.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to see whales!

Was on a NCL cruise last week and saw whales from cruise ship several times. Best sightings were in Ketchikan. We were on an Eagles, Totems an Lighthouse side trip and we had several sightings when a humpback breached right next to the boat.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to see whales!

Thanks djh. Eagles, Totems and lighthouses sounds interesting, too.

9. Re: Want to see whales!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 05:24