We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Question

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Question

Hello,

Is there any agency that I could use to rent a car in Anchorage and return it in Valdez?

Preferably one that allows driving on the McCarthy road...

Thanks in advance

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Question

Where would you go from Valdez without a car ??.....We would need to know your itinerary to give you more helpful options......

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Question

Well my itinerary depends on my options :)

Right now I thought to begin by renting the car at Anchorage around Aug 22nd, drive to McCarthy, spend two and a half days in Wrangell-St.Elias national park and return it to Valdez, if possible, around noon Aug 26th, taking the afternoon (3:15 pm) ferry to Cordova.

Does that make any sense?

Edited: 02 May 2013, 15:51
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Question

Then where do you go from Cordova without a car? Or are you going to fly out on Alaska Airlines. The road to McCarthy is not paved and once there you cannot drive around "town" Most of Wrangell-St Elias NP is wilderness with very little access to traffic. I would consider a flight to McCarthy from Chitina and shuttle for return (or other way around.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Question

From Cordova my plan was to go to Whittier by ferry again on Aug 30th, and then bus to Seward.

I'm fine with taking a shuttle from Chitina to the park if there's a car rental I could take from Anchorage to Valdez and wouldn't allow me on the McCarthy highway (although it would be better I guess if there was one that allowed it and save me the shuttle...).

But are there any agencies that I could do this with? or would I have to return the car to Anchorage?

Edited: 02 May 2013, 16:24
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Question

To me it is doing it the hard way. Keep the car and take on the ferries. Is there any particular reason to go to Cordova? It would be cheaper and faster to return via Anchorage and then to Seward without the ferries

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Question

Taking a car on the ferry is often expensive, especially during the summer - I don't think it would compare with just renting a car when you get to Cordova. I would surely compare.

I can't imagine there are any one way rental cars in Valdez.

What is your approximate itinerary? Did you settle or change that from your original post for help with that?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Question

No one way car rental to Valdez. Also do you realize that the road to Childs Glacier near Cordova is closed so you cant get there? Not much to do in Cordova besides hiking and fishing, both of which you can do easier and cheaper on the road system.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Question

OK Thanks for the help.

Coalminer, I don't have an itinerary yet. I'm trying to make up one that would get me through Wrangell - St Elias NP, Cordova, Seward + Kenai Fjords, Resurrection Pass and Lost Lake trails, Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, Denali and end in Fairbanks. I'm also considering a visit to Palmer and the Alaska state fair. The dates are around Aug 18-19th and Sept 22nd. If you (or anybody) has any advice I'll be glad to hear it :)

I will reconsider visiting Cordova, I heard/read in a couple of places it is a special/unique atmosphere but nothing is set in stone...

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Question

Do realize that if you drop off the rental vehicle in a different city than you pick it up in (for example rent in Anchorage and drop in Fairbanks), you will incur a hefty one-way drop off fee. It might be worth it for you to consider a "loop" of sorts, where you go from Anchorage to Denali to Fairbanks to Wrangell/St. Elias to Valdez then back to Anchorage, and go to the Kenai Peninsula before/after that loop. Cordova is a quirky little town that is difficult to get to (and they want to keep it that way, opposing a possible road to the town). But without easy access to the glacier, my feeling is you can better use your time in other places and save the time and cost of getting there and back. Personally I would spend more time in Wrangell/St. Elias or Denali NP if you like hiking.

10. Re: Car Rental Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:15