We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think about this itinerary?

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
What do you think about this itinerary?

imageshack.us/f/507/alaskaitinerary.png/

So what do you guys think?

The last thread I opened made me reconsider some stuff, and I've decided to give up on Cordova and the Kenai wildlife refuge canoeing.

Instead I chose to visit southeast Alaska for about a week and a half. I felt that it adds a dimension of native culture (Sitka) and marine wildlife viewing that I might have missed in my original plan.

I'd be happy to know where do you guys think I'm not spending enough time, or not taking into account realistic transportation time, or if I have allocated too much or too little time for the hiking routes I mentioned. Any other advice would be most welcome.

Also I've estimated the cost of this trip around 4500-5000$, do you guys think it's realistic? Obviously I've got no idea what I'm talking about so it's a very rough estimation, so I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have. I plan to be as cost effective as possible with regards to sleeping and food, but I'm trying not to be cheap and miss out on stuff.

I plan to fly back to Seattle from Fairbanks at Sept 22nd very early morning or 21st late evening, hoping to catch a football game in Seattle on the 22nd :)

Mentioned in this post
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

I would be happy to review your itinerary, but do not wish to download an unfamiliar document......

If you could copy and paste it into the forum post, I will take a look at it.....

If you plan to concentrate on Southeast Alaska, why will you be flying to Seattle from Fairbanks ??

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

Sorry, I had it in a nice word table and thought it would be more comfortable if I just print screened and uploaded, but I don't know how to incorporate the image into the message so I'll just write it down.

18/9 - Fly in to Juneau

19/9 - Juneau

20/8 - Juneau

21/8 - ferry from Juneau to Gustavus

22/8 - Glacier bay NP

23/8 - Glacier bay NP

24/8 - Return to Juneau via ferry

25/8 - Ferry to Stika

26/8 - Sitka

27/8 - Sitka

28/8 - Flight from Sitka to Anchorage, head to Palmer, visit Alaska state fair

29/9 - Palmer

30/9 - Palmer

31/8 - Head to McCarthy

1/9 - Wrangell - St. Elias NP

2/9 - Wrangell - St. Elias NP

3/9 - Wrangell - St. Elias NP

4/9 - Wrangell - St. Elias NP

5/9 - Get to Seward through Anchorage

6/9 - Seward - day cruise/kayak trip

7/9 - Seward - Harding ice field trail

8/9 - try to catch an NFL game in the morning somwhere in the city, then exit glacier hike, then get to the start of the primorse/lost lake trail, and maybe start it, depending on time...

9/9 - Primorse/lost lake trail

10/9 - Finish the trail, get to hope

11/9 - Resurrection pass trail

12/9 - Resurrection pass trail

13/9 - Resurrection pass trail

14/9 - Get to Denali NP

15/9 - Denali NP

16/9 - Denali NP

17/9 - Denali NP, get to Fairbanks

18/9 - Fairbanks/Chena hot springs

19/9 - Day hike, sleep at Chena hot springs

20/9 Relaxed day, get to Fairbanks by evening, sleep in town

21/9 - Fairbanks equinox marathon

22/9 - Early flight to Seattle

As for your question, my plan isn't to primarily focus on the southeast, but get a nice taste of it :)

Thanks

P.S.

I promise the link is safe by the way :P

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Glacier Bay Lodge
Glacier Bay Lodge
234 Reviews
Gustavus, AK
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Palmer
Palmer
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Harding Ice Field Trail
Harding Ice Field Trail
149 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

I misread your first post.....thinking that you only had a week and a half for your entire trip......looks like you have plenty of time to include all the areas you want to see.......

If you wanted to stay an extra day in Glacier Bay, you would not need to ferry back to Juneau......you can fly to Sitka from Gustavus (Glacier Bay).....

Sounds like a fun, action packed journey.......looking forward to reading a trip report when you are done !

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Bay Lodge
Glacier Bay Lodge
234 Reviews
Gustavus, AK
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

So you'll get a rental car in Anchorage, I assume.

I would go to Denali first, so that you can get a camper bus into the park to Wonder Lake. The shuttle buses stop running September 11 or 12:

nps.gov/dena/…CP_JUMP_308925

For Lost Lake you will either have to backpack in & out to the same trailhead or have to catch a ride back to your car doing the traverse. I would hike in & out from Primrose trailhead, behind Primrose campground.

You will have the same issue doing the Resurrection trail- getting a ride back to Hope from Cooper Landing. We have given other backpackers rides, but I won't be there for you LOL! If you don't want to deal with catching a ride & it can be challenging to get a ride all the way way way back to the Hope trailhead, you can access Resurrection pass trail at the Devil's Creek trailhead up to Devil's Pass- climb up, hike the trail in one direction, come back, hike in the other direction then hike down the same trailhead to car.

As you will read below, the joy of this short-cut up to the Resurrection trail is that it gets you in the beautiful, open high tundra area right away, without having to hike through all the woods to get up there.

alaskahikesearch.com/hikes/devils-pass/

You have picked a couple of the most beautiful backpacks in Alaska!

Edited: 03 May 2013, 18:28
Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

Thanks guys,

Flying directly to Sitka apparently isn't that expensive, I'll definitely consider it!

Will I be able to take a car into Denali NP at the dates I mentioned(Sept 14-17), or would I have to win a draw or something like that?(I remember reading something about a lottery, can't remember exactly what it was).

Also, I would really appreciate it if you would answer what I asked about the budget... I know it's really almost impossible to give the exact cost of all of it, but I'd be happy to get just an estimate of the range we're talking about....

Again thank you both for your help, I know I've been opening many threads and you guys have always been there to answer every question, so just know it's really appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

The shuttle and camper buses operate until Thursday Sep 12 (that is the last day). Then Sep 13/14/15/16 are the dates for the "Road Lottery." But you only have a 1 in 7 chance in getting a permit for the Road Lottery. I would not count on it. That is why denalicat recommended that you go to Denali before then instead.

The best way to get a budget for your trip is to use something like an Excel spreadsheet. List all your expenses - ferry, car rentals, activities, tours, etc. Figure 20 miles per gallon for your car rental and $4.50/gallon for gas. It will probably be a bit less than that on average, but estimate high. If you eat out, figure at least $50/person/day for meals. If you prepare your own meals, figure $12-$15/day for all meals and snacks (I figure $10-$12/day and eat very well, but estimate high).

When figuring your budget, think too of tips (gratuities) for tour operators and bus drivers, the camper bus fee, the entrance fee to Denali NP, etc. Also include things like parking and entrance fee for the state fair, food when at the state fair, etc. Just go through your itinerary day by day and figure what you might be doing. That is how I figure my budgets each trip. I get very, very close to my actual cost. My record a few years ago for three of us was when I was within 75 cents/person of my budget :-).

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

Getting within 75 cents is seriously impressive! I'll try that method when I know my plan better then...

Also, I forgot one of my very important questions, how much in advance should I book stuff?

What I'm thinking right now is to book the flights and ferries (the southeast part basically) soon, and maybe the Chena hot springs resort. I'd like to keep as much room as possible to maneuver, so the rest (Seward day cruise/kayak) I was hoping to just get there and decide on the spot. Since I'm not coming on peak season I thought it would be possible. Does it make sense?

Also, how far in advance should I book the flights/ferries? will prices go up soon?

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

Mid May to mid Sep is peak season all over Alaska.

I would book as much in advance as possible to save money and time. Rare to get good tour and lodging discounts at the last minute. Same with car rentals.

Do you really want tobbe driving around after a day of touring looking for lodging?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
McCarthy, Alaska
Level Contributor
179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

I'm familiar mostly with the Wrangell-St. Elias area so I'll comment on that...

4 Days is GREAT in Wrangell-St. Elias if you want to hike several days, have some down time and/or head into the backcountry for a few days. What are your plans while you're here?

If I were you, I would drive to Valdez from Wrangell-St. Elias and take the ferry over to Whittier and drive from there to Seward rather than going around. There is also GREAT sea kayaking out of Valdez (www.alaskasummer.com) if you have a day there.

Best,

Gaia Marrs

St. Elias Alpine Guides

McCarthy, Alaska

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
St. Elias Alpine Guides
St. Elias Alpine Guides
589 Reviews
McCarthy, AK
Alaska
Alaska
United States
10. Re: What do you think about this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:17