We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DYI vs. cruise tour

Old Forge, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
DYI vs. cruise tour

Hi! I am planning a cruise with my (will be) 16 yr old twin boys for next July. The plan is to do the southbound tour on Princess out of Whittier. I'm having a difficult time deciding between the cruise tour or doing the research and planning and doing 5 days of land touring on our own. I'm a widow so it's just the 3 of us. On one hand, I drive a ridiculous amount of miles for work so being transported is appealing (plus I want to be able to see the sights, even if it's just trees! lol) on the other hand, I like the idea of the freedom driving ourselves around. We are not inexperienced travelers, but for some reason I find Alaska intimidating. That's another reason the tour appeals to me, but I've also read that the tours can feel like you're a herd of cattle.

We plan on flightseeing and we all enjoy the outdoors and are interested in natural history. Any and all info, advice, ideas are welcome!!! I'm hoping to get this booked so so I can start paying for it!!!! lolol....

Thanks!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

Without question ... DIY. Rent an RV for a week and make it a real Alaska adventure!

A cruisetour requires just as much thought, otherwise you end up spending most your day in transit with little time at destinations, or you end up at isolated Princess locations with little to do. So if you choose a cruisetour, choose wisely ... pay careful attention to the details (often missing from the brochures).

Don't be intimidated by Alaska ... there are plenty of us women who have made the trip, tent camping or RV'g and we survived so your odds are good!

Read thru some trip reports to get ideas... look for one by TwoSue who RV'd for a week with her teens prior to the cruise. carol

Old Forge, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

Will do! Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

Yup, DIY is definitely the way to go.

This posting lists a bunch of fun, easy, economical things to do. It's all within an hour of Anchorage (see: http://goo.gl/lSnN2 ).This is not even the best of AKl but it is amazing.

Good luck,

Scott

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

<<We are not inexperienced travelers, but for some reason I find Alaska intimidating>>

Girl I found Alaska intimidating when coming all the way from Australia but with the fantastic encouragement and help of all the great people on these forums, we manage to spend 2 weeks driving ourselves around on the wrong side of the road with all those bears - and not only survived but had the time of our lives. Just can't wait to get back there!

Have a look at the resources for planning link on the right of this page and feel free to post suggested itineraries and ask questions on this forum. Keep it all on this thread so regulars can keep up with what you're planning and you'll have it down pat in no time - probably even want more than 5 days :)

Old Forge, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

Awesome, thanks! Lots of info out there! I checked out Great Alaskan Holiday and like what they have to offer. Plan on giving them a call to see if they have any idea what specials they may be offering next year. Love the idea of less than $200/night! No doubt I'll have a million questions (sorry, I"m a planner from way back...lol) as the months go by. As always any & all ideas would be ever so helpful. :)

6. Re: DYI vs. cruise tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:16