We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska in 5 days

wollongong
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska in 5 days

we have 4 full days in Anchorage and 2 1/2 days either side of flights, in early July.

Have planned:

bear sightseeing to Brooks Falls

Knik Glacier tour (self drive)

Whittier 1/2 day cruise (unsure whether to drive or rail - any suggestions?)

Should we do the Seward train trip return on our last full day, leaving just the 1/2 days to look around Anchorage?

Don't know if we will ever get back to Alaska so really want to use our time well

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Too bad you don't have more time - I just did a quick comparison - did you know Alaska is about the same size as Queensland in your country? If I knew I wouldn't be back in Alaska, I would not miss Denali park or Seward but I realize that is just my opinion.

Driving will save you time simply because you can follow your own schedule. :)

wollongong
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska in 5 days

At least as Aussies we understand LONG distances! its either a short visit or no visit! what about the drive to Homer? Sounds really good. Ice bergs and spectacular scenery are my top priority, then bears. My husband is pathetic on boats and not much better in planes. Not even sure if he will get sick on trains so perhaps driving is best. Denali just seemed too hard this time - will just have to come back for that and Northern Lights.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Well, most of us Alaskans do understand long distances - I drive 2 hrs one way just to get to a grocery store, and I will drive from Healy to Ninichik in one day during the summer, BUT I would never recommend that to a tourist. :)

So - to better help your planning - when do you actually fly in and leave - dates & times? I surely wouldn't stay in Anchorage for those 4 days - too much to go and see! And if you don't mind driving, well let's work out a good itinerary that uses your time well. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Here is the OP's other thread that has some background info . . . tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k64724… .

wollongong
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Thanks, we fly in 2.30 pm 7 July and out 4.30 pm 12 July though I gather the times keep changing. Have a tour out of Homer on hold on 8th. Also got a tour of Knik glacier on 11th. Thinking if Blackstone glacier cruise...... so much choice!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Helena . . . are you going all the way down to Homer just to do a flightseeing bear viewing tour? There are options available to you from Anchorage that will not cause you to waste a lot of time driving to Home just for a flight.

wollongong
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska in 5 days

we can go with Rusts out of Anchorage (on hold) its just the trip with Emerald looks so fabulous and the drive got a good wrap. dont like big tour groups and crowds of people and it looked like it would be no more expensive to fly to Homer and take a tour from there. its very difficult to navigate all the advertising spiels and work out which tour is best for us. Homer just sounds groovy. there was a suggestion of one way car hire Homer to Anchorage but havnt had time to check this out.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska in 5 days

I am not sure if bear viewing from Homer on the 8th is doable with your schedule but here are some thoughts, I am assuming you would rent a car for the entire trip. A rental car will give you flexibility and allow you to use your time most efficiently. I think bear viewing would fit better on the 9th but here goes:

7th-Arrive and drive to Summit Lake/Cooper Landing and spend the night

8th-Homer Bear viewing but it is a 5 hour drive from Anchorage an 2-3 hours from Cooper Landing/Summit Lake

9th-Drive to Seward, Sealife Center, Exit Glacier and maybe Resurrection Bay tour (not as bad for husband and boat problem)

10th- Drive north maybe stop and do Portage Glacier tour(very short smooth water lake boat ride), Wildlife Conservation Center

11th-Knik Glacier spend night in Palmer

12th- Head toward Anchorage, maybe visit Eklutna Village/Lake, Eagle River Nature Center and/or if you have enough time visit the Native Heritage Center arrive airport by 1:30pm.

These are just thoughts, if I were you I might skip Homer and do a bear viiewong flight from Soldotna or Anchorage.

Gilmer, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Sorry to barge in on this post, but it will be my first time to Alaska this August.. Surprise trip for my husband's 50th birthday and 30th wedding anniversary. Will fly in from Dallas Texas and need to rent a car/small SUV.. Would it be better for me to fly into Anchorage and leave out of Fairbanks? or vice versa? I would like for us to see as much as we can, but not wear ourselves out back tracking. My daughter says we should just wing it and not book things in case we want to stay somewhere longer than planned, but I'm worried about finding lodging or getting to book a day cruise etc. What do you suggest? This was in reply to coalminers information in earlier reply.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 22:04
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska in 5 days

Samantha, rather than "barging" into an existing thread, it is really best if you start your own so that responses are clear to which questions . . . and that the OP isn't bothered with messages about responses in her thread that are intended for you and your questions. (You can then delete your post in this thread by going to the box "Report inappropriate content" and then select from the drop-down menu "Remove my post".