We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

We will be spending 3 nights in a cabin in Denali. We have a 6am reservation on the shuttle into the park the morning after we arrive. We realize that we will need to get some breakfast and bring lunch and snacks with us into the park. We also understand that there are not a lot of grocery shopping options around Denali. Where are there grocery stores before we get to Denali? We will be stopping in Talkeetna for a couple of hours on our way from Anchorage to Denali. Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Anchorage and Wasilla are best. Cubbies at the junction of the Parks Highway and Talkeetna Spur Road is another decent option, but prices are more than Wasilla and Anchorage.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Depends on how much selection you want and the prices you want to pay. Wasilla would have your best options on your way north - I prefer Fred Meyers, but there is also a Carrs & Walmart. Near Talkeetna junction, there is a grocery store - haven't been in it. Healy has a small market, but much less selection and much higher prices. The closer you get to Denali, the more you will pay - even for those snack items. I would recommend buying in Wasilla. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

If one is heading north (or east) out of Anchorage here's a google map (below) that lists the places I might stop at for groceries (based on location/convenience and sometimes price).

The place farthest north (Talkeetna SPur Rd) is Cubbies (mentioned above). It is the last chance for a decent grocery store between ANC & Denali.

http://goo.gl/maps/Zaybb

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Just a heads up... Wasilla does have a 2% sales tax. But in my opinion the stores in Wasilla are a more convenient stop than Anchorage, depending on your route out of town. (The Fred Meyer on the Seward Highway at Northern Lights is good if you take that route out of town.)

There's a Super Walmart off of the last exit before you hit Wasilla. And then as you roll through Wasilla you'll find a Fred Meyer and Carrs both on the right hand side of the highway for easy access. Fred Meyers is part of the Kroger chain and Carrs is part of the Safeway chain. Cars is purely groceries and Fred Meyers also has housewares, clothing, sporting goods, etc... Oh, and just before Fred Meyers is a Target. They have a limited grocery section.

A few miles past Wasilla at mile 49 of the Parks Highway and Pittman Road is a 3 Bears. They have some bulk stuff and other groceries. Their selection isn't as complete as Carrs or Fred Meyers, but you could avoid the sales tax.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

This is exactly the information I need. Thank you all!!!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Just to add that I think the Fred Meyer at the North Eagle River exit is one of the easiest to access and still has no sales tax.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

'Just to add that I think the Fred Meyer at the North Eagle River exit is one of the easiest to access and still has no sales tax.'

Yes, this. It also has a gas station where you can get 3 cents a gallon off if you sign up for their Fred Meyer card (takes two minutes and can be done at the register). Just turn right off the exit (if heading to Denali from Anchorage) and you'll see it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

I haven't been to the Eagle River Fred's; but it looks very easy to get to on your way out of ANC. Here's an updated Google Map link with it added:

http://goo.gl/maps/OkqjO

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

The Fred Meyers in Eagle River and the Fred Meyers on Muldoon in Anchorage are so easy to get to. I don't understand why anyone going from the airport or midtown would go through downtown to get to the Glenn Highway. Rookie mistakes I guess. I always head east first to Muldoon then north to the Glenn Highway. Makes it easy to do my tax-free shopping too.

And yes, the 3 cents/gallon gas discount at Freddie's is nice, though Holiday has a lot of gas coupons/discounts too if you just look for them.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery stores between Anchorage and Denali

Scott's map basically shows it but there's no left-hand turn onto the Old Glenn like it indicates. You go straight through Old Glenn stop light onto Northgate Drive. That's the Freddie's parking lot.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 02:12